On the occasion of WHO World Health Day on 7th April, Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) launched India’s first mental health awareness campaign and website dedicated to young people, It’s Ok To Talk, through a series of talks and a multimedia exhibition in partnership with Instagram.
The event took place only a few days after the Mental Healthcare Bill 2016 was passed in the LokSabha. The latest WHO estimates show that 7.5% of Indians suffer from major or minor mental disorders that require some kind of intervention.
The event brought together youth from across the NCR, mental health experts, advocates and survivors who highlighted the central role of disclosure and talking in the recovery of mental health problems and in breaking down stigma.
Launching the campaign Prof. Vikram Patel, who works with the Public Health Foundation of India and Harvard University said, “We need to encourage and support people to talk openly about depression, to promote knowledge and skills in the community on self-care and to demand action by the government to improve access to clinical interventions for those who are severely affected. It’s Ok to Talk in this context, offers a space for young people to share their accounts of struggle and recovery. There is no doubt whatsoever that we must talk about depression more openly, but we must ensure that people experiencing depressive symptoms are always at the heart of the conversation.”
Also speaking at the event were Jo Agarwal & Ramakant Vempati (Co-founders, Touchkin), Reshma Valliappan (artist and mental health activist), Jhilmil Brekenridge (poet, author and mental health activist), Dhruv Visvanath (solo percussive acoustic guitarist), Natasha Noel (yogini, athlete and writer) and Pramada Menon (queer feminist activist).
One of highlights of the event was a unique exhibition curated with Instagram featuring stories of wellbeing from nine young Instagram users across India. The exhibition featured artwork by prominent mental health activist Reshma Valliappan, author and yoga enthusiast Natasha Noel, artist and founder of Fearless Collective, Shilo Shiv Suleman, photographer, Nayantara Parikh, VisfotakSamagri, Ankha Millo, Deb Roy, Khushnaz Lala, Gauri Arora, as well as by upcoming young artist Sonaksha Iyengar. The exhibition explores everyday struggles of mental health and barriers such as stigma and lack of acceptance. Attendees were encouraged to use the hashtag #ItsOkBaatKaro while posting videos and photos.
The website http://www.itsoktotalk.in/ which is now live, offers youth across India a safe space and community to share their experiences with mental health, mental illness and wellbeing through submitting entries in various media forms (blogs, videos, photos, music, social media posts, art, etc.).
Courtesy by www.newsvoir.com
Coca-Cola Launches Premium Mango Drink 'Maaza Gold' in India Coca-Cola Launches Premium Mango Drink 'Maaza Gold' in India Coca-Cola India, one of the country's leading beverage companies, today announced the launch of 'Maaza Gold', a premium mango drink made from the choicest of mangoes. The new variant of Maaza offers consumers an indulgent, thicker and smoother mango drink. This product innovation is in-line with the company's steadfast commitment to provide more choices to consumers.
- Zoom India's leading entertainment channel, brings an entertaining twist to the good old board game of Tambola
- December Sees a Spike in Last Minute International Bookings from India: ixigo
- Max Design Awards 2017-18 Students Edition
- Breakfast at Tiffany's - Reese Witherspoon Looks Stunning in Exquisite Platinum Jewellery
- Egg Fried Rice and Chicken Manchurian Recipe Card
- SavioPlus Announces Grand Launch of its Coupon and Deals Website
- Life Insurer provided online facility for linking policies with UID
- RepIndia Wins the Digital mandate of United Colors of Benetton
- Start Mumbai 2017 Urban Art Festival Kicks off the Mahim (E) Art District with Public Art and Urban Design Interventions
- Jugnoo Announces the Launch of Cabs in Chandigarh
- Vodafone Guarantees Savings With New RED TOGETHER
- Simply Braces Start-up Clinic Raises USD 1 MN Pre-Series A Funding
- Leonardo Olive Oil Creates an Experiential Zone at India International Trade Fair 2017
- Bajaj Finserv Offers Lowest Interest Rate of 8.30 percent on Home Loans
- BMW Motorrad to Debut at India Bike Week 2017