Washington sources have stated that US President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that he is nominating Indian-American federal judge Amul Thapar for elevation to an appeals court, the second highest level of the US judiciary. It was stated that appeals courts are just below the Supreme Court. Thapar was on the shortlist of Trump’s picks for the Supreme Court that was announced during last year’s election campaign.
Describing him as “the son of Indian-American immigrants”, and the first federal district judge of South Asian descent, the White House said that if confirmed by the Senate, Thapar will join the bench of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which covers the two important states of Michigan and Ohio, in addition to Kentucky and Tennessee.
Thapar, 47, will be the second person from the community at
the appellate court level, joining Judge Sri Srinivasan, who was appointed by
the then President Barack Obama to the powerful bench that covers Washington.
Thapar is currently a federal judge in Kentucky, appointed by the then
President George W. Bush in 2007.
The likelihood of Thapar’s confirmation by the Republican-controlled Senate is very strong and he has the strong backing of the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who has described him as “a friend.” There are likely to be other vacancies on the bench where there are three judges over the age of 77. Should a vacancy arise, Thapar is a stronger contender to be on the short list of candidates for the vacancy.
Indian American man charged with Insider trading Washington sources have stated that An Indian-American man has been charged with insider trading here by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). It was stated that Avaneesh Krishnamoorthy, a Vice President in the risk management department of Nomura Securities, a New York-based investment bank, allegedly used the confidential information of a private equity firm’s acquisition to conduct insider trading, the American Bazaar online reported on Wednesday.
- Surgeon asked to resign from Trump administration
- H-1B and L1 visas are for employees, if you have enough money, you can opt for the EB5 visa: Lohia
- Sikh group kickstarts TV campaign for educating about Sikhism (NRI)
- Indian man shot dead by masked man in Washington
- Indian Entrepreneur challenges Senator Elizabeth in US Senate race
- 37 year old man attacked woman inside Gurdwara
- Indian American won $250,000 in Science Talent Search
- TRUMP most expensive vacation UPSETS AMERICANS!!!!
- Trump nominated Indian American federal judge to appeals court
- Short Term Comfort for IT Employees due to relaxation in H1B Visa
- Bharara was fired by the Trump administration
- TRUMP and AMMA gets same salary...
- Florida man's attempt to burn an Indian - American store
- Indian Sikh shot dead in the state of Washington
- Indian techie spouse returns to US to fulfill his hubby's dreams (NRI)