Washington sources have stated that US President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that he is nominating Indian-American federal judge Amul Thapar for elevation to an appeals court, the second highest level of the US judiciary. It was stated that appeals courts are just below the Supreme Court. Thapar was on the shortlist of Trump’s picks for the Supreme Court that was announced during last year’s election campaign.
Describing him as “the son of Indian-American immigrants”, and the first federal district judge of South Asian descent, the White House said that if confirmed by the Senate, Thapar will join the bench of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which covers the two important states of Michigan and Ohio, in addition to Kentucky and Tennessee.
Thapar, 47, will be the second person from the community at
the appellate court level, joining Judge Sri Srinivasan, who was appointed by
the then President Barack Obama to the powerful bench that covers Washington.
Thapar is currently a federal judge in Kentucky, appointed by the then
President George W. Bush in 2007.
The likelihood of Thapar’s confirmation by the Republican-controlled Senate is very strong and he has the strong backing of the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who has described him as “a friend.” There are likely to be other vacancies on the bench where there are three judges over the age of 77. Should a vacancy arise, Thapar is a stronger contender to be on the short list of candidates for the vacancy.
Less Focus on H1-B Visas says USA Ambassador - Will it impact on Indian companies? According to sources new US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster had said currently US is undertaking a comprehensive review of its visa policy but it’s not focused on any one country or H-1B visas. Meanwhile he said as the US administration had not yet announced the policy, he can’t comment on the impact it may have.
- Indian American couple contributed $1 Million for Indian Fund
- US Navy veteran charged with killing an Indian engineer has pleaded not guilty
- The number of Indian students pursuing in USA are increased 2x times - Report says!
- Adopted 3 year girl found dead in ditch with injuries
- Term of Indian Ambassador to the US Navtej Sarna been extended
- Indian father shot while protecting son from robbers
- Miss World 2017 Crown by Indian Manushi Chhillar
- Teenager cum Student killed in a Road accident
- Indian American Sikh elected New Jersey Town Mayor
- Manisha Singh won Senate approval to be Assistant Secretary of State
- Indian re-arrested following completion of ten year sentence
- Can this iPhone based Ultrasound Machine detect Cancer??
- H1B and L1 Visas issue taken up by IT Professionals
- Until we get proof, we are not going to label it is Sherin Matthews
- Driver leaves woman to die in the car which was on fire!