Chicago sources have stated that American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has taken the unusual step of issuing a travel advisory to US citizens as well as visitors against travelling to the southern state of Texas warning that “people of color” could be subject to profiling. The ACLU “travel alert” follows the passage of Senate Bill 4 (SB4), the so-called “sanctuary cities” bill, into law. Texas Governor Greg Abbot signed the bill into law in a Facebook Live event earlier this week.
SB4 requires law enforcement agencies across the state to honor U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainers. These are requests to hold someone in jail while their immigration status is checked out. The SB4 legislation is in response to Texas cities like Austin, that have come under fire for resisting full cooperation with ICE agents. SB4 penalizes police officers for the failure to detain and turn over undocumented immigrants to federal authorities.
ACLU said in a statement that “The law gives a
green light to police officers in the state to investigate a person’s
immigration status during a routine traffic stop, leading to widespread racial
profiling, baseless scrutiny, and illegal arrests of citizens and non-citizens
alike presumed to be “foreign” based on how they look or sound".
Texas is one of the states which have a large and growing number of Indian Americans, along with other states like New York, New Jersey, California and Illinois. Houston, the fourth largest city in the US, has grown into one of the most ethnically-diverse cities in the country.
National Geographic Bee contest won by Indian American student Washington sources have stated that year 14 year old Indian American student has won the prestigious $50,000 National Geographic Bee contest here, becoming the sixth consecutive Indian American to win the championship.
- Indian -American prosecutor called for probe into Russian meddling
- Texas warns people of color subjected to profiling
- Donald Trump appoints Neil Chatterjee Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Nancy Pelosi will lead bipartisan to India
- Indian Origin man robbed while rescuing female co-worker
- Mann Kaur, 101 years breaks record In Sky Tower
- Indian American man charged with Insider trading
- Surgeon asked to resign from Trump administration
- H-1B and L1 visas are for employees, if you have enough money, you can opt for the EB5 visa: Lohia
- Sikh group kickstarts TV campaign for educating about Sikhism (NRI)
- Indian man shot dead by masked man in Washington
- Indian Entrepreneur challenges Senator Elizabeth in US Senate race
- 37 year old man attacked woman inside Gurdwara
- Indian American won $250,000 in Science Talent Search
- TRUMP most expensive vacation UPSETS AMERICANS!!!!