Chicago sources have stated that American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has taken the unusual step of issuing a travel advisory to US citizens as well as visitors against travelling to the southern state of Texas warning that “people of color” could be subject to profiling. The ACLU “travel alert” follows the passage of Senate Bill 4 (SB4), the so-called “sanctuary cities” bill, into law. Texas Governor Greg Abbot signed the bill into law in a Facebook Live event earlier this week.
SB4 requires law enforcement agencies across the state to honor U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainers. These are requests to hold someone in jail while their immigration status is checked out. The SB4 legislation is in response to Texas cities like Austin, that have come under fire for resisting full cooperation with ICE agents. SB4 penalizes police officers for the failure to detain and turn over undocumented immigrants to federal authorities.
ACLU said in a statement that “The law gives a
green light to police officers in the state to investigate a person’s
immigration status during a routine traffic stop, leading to widespread racial
profiling, baseless scrutiny, and illegal arrests of citizens and non-citizens
alike presumed to be “foreign” based on how they look or sound".
Texas is one of the states which have a large and growing number of Indian Americans, along with other states like New York, New Jersey, California and Illinois. Houston, the fourth largest city in the US, has grown into one of the most ethnically-diverse cities in the country.
Number of Indian students studying in the US has doubled in the last decade According to a report published by the US Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the total number of Indian students now in the US stands at over 186,000, rising by more than 12% in the last one year. Meanwhile comprising 17.3% of all international students there, the Indian students are only behind China, which remains the top sender of students to the US since 2009-10 when it toppled India for the number one position.
- Teenager cum Student killed in a Road accident
- Indian American Sikh elected New Jersey Town Mayor
- Manisha Singh won Senate approval to be Assistant Secretary of State
- Indian re-arrested following completion of ten year sentence
- Can this iPhone based Ultrasound Machine detect Cancer??
- H1B and L1 Visas issue taken up by IT Professionals
- Until we get proof, we are not going to label it is Sherin Matthews
- Driver leaves woman to die in the car which was on fire!
- Nisha Biswal will head USIBC
- This 3 year old girl found missing after Father's punishment
- NRIs, Foreign Nationals for Registration in Indian Companies
- Why this London based Economist has contrarian take on household finances??
- Top NRIs Sector can invest for best returns
- Indian American chosen as FCC Chairman
- (USCIS) resumed the premium processing if H-1B Visa