Chicago sources have stated that American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has taken the unusual step of issuing a travel advisory to US citizens as well as visitors against travelling to the southern state of Texas warning that “people of color” could be subject to profiling. The ACLU “travel alert” follows the passage of Senate Bill 4 (SB4), the so-called “sanctuary cities” bill, into law. Texas Governor Greg Abbot signed the bill into law in a Facebook Live event earlier this week.
SB4 requires law enforcement agencies across the state to honor U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainers. These are requests to hold someone in jail while their immigration status is checked out. The SB4 legislation is in response to Texas cities like Austin, that have come under fire for resisting full cooperation with ICE agents. SB4 penalizes police officers for the failure to detain and turn over undocumented immigrants to federal authorities.
ACLU said in a statement that “The law gives a
green light to police officers in the state to investigate a person’s
immigration status during a routine traffic stop, leading to widespread racial
profiling, baseless scrutiny, and illegal arrests of citizens and non-citizens
alike presumed to be “foreign” based on how they look or sound".
Texas is one of the states which have a large and growing number of Indian Americans, along with other states like New York, New Jersey, California and Illinois. Houston, the fourth largest city in the US, has grown into one of the most ethnically-diverse cities in the country.
10th Anniversary Celebrations done at BAPS Sri Swaminarayan Mandir Atlanta sources have stated that His Holiness Mahant Swami Maharaj, the current spiritual leader of the BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, joined devotees and well-wishers in celebrating the ten-year anniversary of the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir in Atlanta, GA on July 1, 2017. The Mandir was inaugurated by His Holiness Pramukh Swami Maharaj in 2007
- University Professor blamed for Child trafficking in Atlanta
- Bangladeshi diplomat charged for labor trafficking
- Irish PM extended family in Mumbai ecstatic
- Chicago's campaign about Trump's immigration policies launched
- Trump says Portland hates crime unacceptable
- By 2026, 23 Million Americans to lose Health Insurance
- National Geographic Bee contest won by Indian American student
- Indian -American prosecutor called for probe into Russian meddling
- Texas warns people of color subjected to profiling
- Donald Trump appoints Neil Chatterjee Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Nancy Pelosi will lead bipartisan to India
- Indian Origin man robbed while rescuing female co-worker
- Mann Kaur, 101 years breaks record In Sky Tower
- Indian American man charged with Insider trading
- Surgeon asked to resign from Trump administration