Sources from New York have stated that a high ranking Bangladeshi diplomat based in New York, accused of forcing his servant to work for up to 18 hours a day without pay, was charged on Monday with labor trafficking and assault. Shahedul Islam, Bangladesh’s Deputy Consul General in New York, faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.
It was stated that for his bail, which was set at $50,000 bond or $25,000 cash, Bangladesh’s Consul General in New York Shameem Ahsan, other colleagues and relatives arranged a $50,000 bond. But it will take a day for him to be released.
Meanwhile Shahedul, 45, brought another Bangladeshi, Mohammed Amin, to the
United States between 2012 and 2013 to work for his family in Queens as a
household helper, an arrangement common among South Asian diplomats.
Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement that “Soon after Mr. Amin’s arrival, the defendant allegedly took his passport and required the man to work 18 hours a day. Even though Mr. Amin had a contract which outlines his compensation, it is alleged he was never paid for his work". Shahedul has limited diplomatic immunity and was ordered to surrender his passport when he appeared before Queens Supreme Court Justice Daniel Lewis, Brown said in a statement.
Indian father shot while protecting son from robbers New York sources have stated that an Indian descent father was shot and injured while trying to protect his son from robbers who tried to force their way into his home here, according to media reports. Earlier on Sunday a man came to the home of Thakur Persaud in the Queens district of the city and when his 13 year old son answered the door he claimed to have a package for delivery.
- Miss World 2017 Crown by Indian Manushi Chhillar
- Number of Indian students studying in the US has doubled in the last decade
- Teenager cum Student killed in a Road accident
- Indian American Sikh elected New Jersey Town Mayor
- Manisha Singh won Senate approval to be Assistant Secretary of State
- Indian re-arrested following completion of ten year sentence
- Can this iPhone based Ultrasound Machine detect Cancer??
- H1B and L1 Visas issue taken up by IT Professionals
- Until we get proof, we are not going to label it is Sherin Matthews
- Driver leaves woman to die in the car which was on fire!
- Nisha Biswal will head USIBC
- This 3 year old girl found missing after Father's punishment
- NRIs, Foreign Nationals for Registration in Indian Companies
- Why this London based Economist has contrarian take on household finances??
- Top NRIs Sector can invest for best returns