United Nations sources have reported that condemning the killing of journalist Gauri Lankesh, UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova and leaders of human rights and journalism groups have added their voices to calls for Indian authorities to bring the attackers to justice.
Bokova said "He condemns the murder of Gauri Lankesh. Any attack on the media is an attack on the fundamental right to freedom of expression of each member of society. He urges the Indian authorities to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice and this crime is punished.” Meanwhile the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) Asia Program Coordinator Steven Butler said: “We urge police in Karnataka to thoroughly investigate the murder of Gauri Lankesh, including whether journalism was a motive.”
Moreover the Human Rights Watch South Asia Director Meenakshi Ganguly
said: “The motives for Gauri Lankesh’s killing are not yet known, but the
possibility of politically motivated shooting needs to be fully and promptly
investigated.” Further the organization described Lankesh, the editor of Gauri
Lankesh Patrike weekly, as a campaigner “for democracy, secularism, and civil
liberties” and “a vocal critic of militant Hindu nationalism promoted by
supporters of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).”
Indian father shot while protecting son from robbers New York sources have stated that an Indian descent father was shot and injured while trying to protect his son from robbers who tried to force their way into his home here, according to media reports. Earlier on Sunday a man came to the home of Thakur Persaud in the Queens district of the city and when his 13 year old son answered the door he claimed to have a package for delivery.
- Miss World 2017 Crown by Indian Manushi Chhillar
- Number of Indian students studying in the US has doubled in the last decade
- Teenager cum Student killed in a Road accident
- Indian American Sikh elected New Jersey Town Mayor
- Manisha Singh won Senate approval to be Assistant Secretary of State
- Indian re-arrested following completion of ten year sentence
- Can this iPhone based Ultrasound Machine detect Cancer??
- H1B and L1 Visas issue taken up by IT Professionals
- Until we get proof, we are not going to label it is Sherin Matthews
- Driver leaves woman to die in the car which was on fire!
- Nisha Biswal will head USIBC
- This 3 year old girl found missing after Father's punishment
- NRIs, Foreign Nationals for Registration in Indian Companies
- Why this London based Economist has contrarian take on household finances??
- Top NRIs Sector can invest for best returns