Alexander Marshak, DSCOVR deputy project scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland said "The source of the flashes is definitely not on the ground. It's definitely ice and most likely solar reflection off of horizontally oriented particles".
Basically, the agency explained, the scientists figured it was ice reflecting the light from high cirrus clouds because the glints were clearly not coming off of the surface of the Earth, like from a lake or flat bit of ocean, and because of the angle the spacecraft was to the Earth each time it captured the glints.
Meanwhile the scientists reasoned that if these 866 flashes were caused by
reflected sunlight, they would be limited to certain spots on the globe spots
where the angle between the sun and Earth is the same as the angle between the
spacecraft and Earth, allowing for the spacecraft to pick up the reflected
light. When they plotted the locations of the glints with where those angles
would match, given Earth's tilt and the spacecraft's location, the two matched.
Sources have stated that the agency's scientists also determined that these glints were the same phenomena discovered in 1993 by Carl Sagan and his fellow scientists working with the Galileo spacecraft as it sped toward Jupiter.
TITA members from IT Companies pledged to plant saplings across the GHMC limits According to sources this year to give Diwali festival a green tinge, the Telangana Information Technology Association (TITA) along with GHMC has launched mega campaign named '10000 Wala Greenathon'.
- Pawan Kalyan's 'Jana Sena' Party goes in full swing!
- Foundation Stone Laid and Inaugurated - KCR gives a boon to weavers!
- Telangana CM KCR unveils PDS policy for the betterment of the Poor people
- 8792 Vacant posts for Teachers and recruitment to begin soon!
- Who is that High Command Mr.Azharuddin?
- Telangana government will soon tie-up with consortium of industries to start a rail coach factory
- What happened to VP of India who was admitted in AIIMS Hospital?
- Sri Lankan fishermen rescued by Indian Cargo Vessel Members
- Can Mohammed Azharuddin win in Telangana Assembly Elections?
- Bigg Boss Oviya extends her support to Kamal Haasan
- Orionoid Meteor Shower - Here's a guide on How and Where to watch it in India this Weekend
- Coastal districts of AP likely to have heavy rainfall in next 24 hours
- What is Revanth Reddy's next move??
- Have you linked your Aadhar card with Bank Account? Else you have to pay Rs.20,000 fine - Oct 31st deadline
- Will Weather play spoil sport in India and New Zealand's first ODI?