Alexander Marshak, DSCOVR deputy project scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland said "The source of the flashes is definitely not on the ground. It's definitely ice and most likely solar reflection off of horizontally oriented particles".
Basically, the agency explained, the scientists figured it was ice reflecting the light from high cirrus clouds because the glints were clearly not coming off of the surface of the Earth, like from a lake or flat bit of ocean, and because of the angle the spacecraft was to the Earth each time it captured the glints.
Meanwhile the scientists reasoned that if these 866 flashes were caused by
reflected sunlight, they would be limited to certain spots on the globe spots
where the angle between the sun and Earth is the same as the angle between the
spacecraft and Earth, allowing for the spacecraft to pick up the reflected
light. When they plotted the locations of the glints with where those angles
would match, given Earth's tilt and the spacecraft's location, the two matched.
Sources have stated that the agency's scientists also determined that these glints were the same phenomena discovered in 1993 by Carl Sagan and his fellow scientists working with the Galileo spacecraft as it sped toward Jupiter.
Iftar at Rashtrapati Bhavan; SAFFRON PARTY Central ministers skip The current President Pranab Mukherjee hosted his last Iftar party at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi, on Friday ahead of the celebration of Ramzan. Despite receiving invites to attend the iftar dinner organized at Rashtrapathi Bhavan, not even one in the BJP-led government at the center attended the dinner iftar party hosted by the President.
- Is his bike rally a blackmail?
- RAJINIKANTH should not ENTER POLITICS his FINANCIAL FRAUD WILL BE LEAKED !!
- Power Star to shock T-Tiger
- Petitioner tells 95.1% of the people possess Aadhaar, enrollment figure stood at 115.15 crore
- Infosys PAYS 65 LAKHS FOR VISA MISUSE CASE!!
- Are they behind Jagan's decisions
- Natasimha creates sensation in Hindupur
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath to get 8 Special Officers On Duty
- SHOCKING: Terror attacks in Mecca was averted
- A Deputy Superintendent of Police was stoned to death by a mob as he protected Umar Farooq
- TS, AP Roundup June 23
- NAIDU SAYS DONT USE MY ROADS AND DONT BUY MY PENSION
- India, World Roundup June 23
- Kovind files nomination papers with Modi
- Indian Army gives shock to Modi