The highly developed and sensitive palates of the Tamilians are well chronicled in the Sangam classics. They believe that food should ideally cater to all the six tastes - bitter, pungent, sweet, salty, sour and astringent.Tamil Nadu has a wide variety of delicious food both for the vegetarians as well as the non-vegetarians, though most of it is made of grains, lentils, rice and vegetables. Spices are added to give a distinctive taste. Rice has been the staple diet of the Tamilians, an inculcated habit, due to the large-scale cultivation of the crop in the state.Chettinad cuisine, a speciality in Tamil Nadu, is famous for its hot and spicy non-vegetarian food. A part of the Mudaliar community is non-vegetarians and its cuisine is delightfully spicy without being too hot. Wet masalas are generally used, the main ingredients being fresh coconut paste and ground ginger-garlic.
Prep Time : 11-15 minutes
Cook time : 2.30-3 hour
Serve : 4
Level Of Cooking : Moderate
Taste : Mild
Ingredients for Madras Lamb Curry Recipe
Lamb cut into 2 inch cubes on the bone 750 grams
Green chillies 2 small
Garlic cloves 4
Ginger roughly chopped 1 inch
Yogurt ¾ cup
Salt to taste
Coconut oil 3 tablespoons
Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves 10-12
Onions finely chopped 3 medium
Tomatoes pureed 4 medium
Tamarind paste 1 tablespoon
Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
Fresh coriander leaves finely chopped 2 tablespoons
Coriander seeds 1 tablespoon
Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
Poppy seeds (khuskhus) 2 teaspoons
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Black peppercorns 2 teaspoons
Fennel seeds (saunf) ½ teaspoon
Cinnamon sticks 3 inch sticks
Red chillies dried 4
Turmeric powder ¼ teaspoon
To make curry powder, dry roast coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, poppy seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves and red chillies in a non-stick pan till fragrant. Cool and grind with turmeric powder to a fine powder.
Grind together the green chillies, garlic and ginger with sufficient water to make a fine paste.
Put the lamb in a large bowl, add the ground curry powder, yogurt and salt and mix well. Set aside in a refrigerator to marinate for two hours.
Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter, add the curry leaves and onions and sauté till lightly browned. Add the ground paste and saute for two to three minutes.
Calories : 2374
Carbohydrates : 74.8
Protein : 158.8
Fat : 159.6
ICT Academy and Autodesk Announce India Design Week 2017 ICT Academy and Autodesk Announce India Design Week 2017 ICT Academy, in association with Autodesk, has announced the India Design Week 2017, a unique initiative for budding designers to learn, explore, innovate and design products for different areas. These areas include built environment, disaster relief, energy, food, health & well-being, mobility, waste, water, clean industry and resource & materials.
- Gracenote Delivers Automated TV Channel Monitoring and Reporting Solution to Broadcasters with TV Street Maps 2.0
- NIIT Accredited by Learning and Performance Institute for the Second Consecutive Year
- Airtel and Intex Join Hands to Launch a Range of Affordable 4G Smartphones Starting at Just Rs. 1649
- Payza Wins E commerce International Payment Processor Award from Stars of the Industry
- Vodafone Introduces Noidas First Free Wi Fi Enabled Bus Shelter
- Online Mutual Fund Investment Platform FundzBazar has Launched Single-stop Facility to Link Aadhaar to MF Folios
- Planet Taps Antrix ISROs PSLV for Third Time to Launch Four Dove Satellites
- pCloudy Launches Certifaya - The Artificial Intelligence Powered App Testing BOT to Speed up Software Testing
- Bahwan CyberTek Wins Order from Ecoren Energy
- Hathway Partners with Microsoft to Provide an Unbeatable Combination for the Digital Generation
- Coverfox Opens Up its Technology for Agents and Micro Entrepreneurs
- New DevOps Solutions from CA Drive Faster, Smarter Development and Better Customer Experiences
- Over 9000 Students of Business Management and Engineering Colleges Participate in 'The Hero Campus Challenge'
- Eastern Communications Partners with Tata Consultancy Services for OSS/BSS Transformation
- Get SIM Upgrade and Aadhar Linking done at your Doorstep, through Vodafone Mobile Vans