According to sources Volkswagen has been in a bit of a limbo, of late and the car maker has had no new mass market products for quite some time, and the lack of buzz around the brand is reflected in the sales figures. Meanwhile in 2017-18, VW sold all of 45,329 units in India, down 9.4% on its performance the year before. Further the car maker also ended the last fiscal with market share dropping to a mere 1.38% in the Indian passenger car market.
Meanwhile Volkswagen’s arrangement with Skoda that will have the Czech car maker lead product development for the two brands in India promises much, but is yet to be green-lighted by the VW Group board. And even if the product partnership goes ahead as planned, the first of the new wave of VWs for India is still a few years away.
Moreover on the product front, the car maker will rely on model updates to
keep customer interest alive, but will also tweak its approach to sales. Furthermore
when citing the example of the compact sedan segment, Steffen Knapp, director,
VW Passenger Cars, spoke to Autocar India of a more ‘regionalized’ approach.
“Private customers in cities like Mumbai, where we have a big presence, are not
running for compact sedan models because they perceive these as taxis. We have
to realize that the compact sedan category is much more popular in the Tier-2
Second gen Ertiga to launch on November 21, 2018 According to sources the model is already on sale in Indonesia and the new Ertiga is wider and longer than the outgoing car but comes with the same 2,740mm wheelbase. It gets fresh styling with an angular front design, slimmer headlamps and wide wrap around tail lamps with LED elements. The model sits on Maruti's lightweight Heartect platform and is expected to be lighter and stiffer than the outgoing model.
- Time for arrival of another refreshed compact sedan Tata Tigor facelift
- Fifth generation Honda CR-V gets diesel engine for the first time
- Hyundai Santro new look to be launched
- New Ford Aspire is Rs 20,000 less than outgoing model
- Review about latest launch Mahindra Marazzo
- Ford Mustang facelift has been spotted in India
- Volkswagen reaching next phase
- S201 compact SUV launch in late 2018
- Updated TUV300 gets a crash test norms
- Cayenne available in priced from Rs 1.19 crore to Rs 1.92 crore
- Mahindra Y400 SUV likely to be priced from Rs 22 lakh
- Fourth generation Tucson grows in size to become a 7 Seater
- Next-generation SUV to replace ageing second-gen Pajero Sport by 2019
- Fifth-gen Honda City likely to come with diesel-CVT
- India's first Lamborghini Urus delivered to a Mumbai customer