india’s passenger vehicle industry suffered its worst sales performance in nearly 19 years in July as a slowing economy, higher ownership costs and floods in some states deterred buyers. Sales fell 31% to 200,790 vehicles last month from 290,931 units a year earlier, showed data released on Tuesday by the SIAM. It was the worst sales performance since a 35% decline in December 2000.
In July, passenger car sales plunged 36% to 122,956 units, while utility vehicles recorded a 15% drop to 67,070 units. Vans suffered a 46% decline to 10,804 units. Industry body Siam releases wholesales, or factory dispatches, of automobiles, and not retail sales. The drop in sales came despite the recent introduction of models such as Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd’s XUV300, hyundai Motor india Ltd’s Venue and MG Motor india Ltd’s Hector models. The new models have seen robust demand despite a weakness in the overall market.
Maruti Suzuki india Ltd reduced wholesales of its Vitara Brezza compact sport utility vehicle because of weak demand, emerging competition and its recently announced plans to phase out diesel vehicles from next April. hyundai and Mahindra and Mahindra reported 10% and 15% decline in sales, respectively in July.
Scooters India developed five prototypes of EVs but it is yet to get regulatory clearance for them New Delhi sources stated that Strategic disinvestment of public sector Scooters India Ltd (SIL) could be deferred yet again while monetization plan of its non-core land will be carried out. While the primary reason for extending sale deadline is the muted sentiment in the auto sector, the government wants the struggling company's electric vehicle (EV) business to grow. The Ministry of Heavy Industries
- GST rate cut for auto sector from 28 to 18%
- Maruti Suzuki S-Presso will be available in Std, LXi, VXi and VXi+ variants
- Overall economic health of Auto industry in India is in slow pace: Nirmala Seetharaman
- Uber & Ola not reason for Auto sales down
- Tata Nexon Kraz been launched to celebrate one lakh sales milestone
- New-gen Thar is likely to debut at the Auto Expo 2020
- Maruti Suzuki S-Presso will rival Renault Kwid
- MBV Car introduced by BYT
- MG Hector to restart again soon
- Why sales of Maruti Suzuki India fell 32.7% August 2019?
- Maruti Suzuki India, Hyundai, M&M, Tata Motors and Honda reported high double-digit decline
- First MG Motor India showroom setup in Gurgaon grown well
- Renault's new Triber is available in five paint schemes
- Automobile sector gets Diwali gift from Finance Minister
- Hyundai demands slowdown in market is very much cyclical and not structural