Reportedly the Supreme Court on Friday heard petitions posing legal
challenges to the Centre's decision to scrap provisions of Article 370 and
subsequent measures putting restrictions on the working of media in the region.
Meanwhile advocate ML Sharma has challenged the scrapping of special status and
bifurcation of Jammu and Kashmir into two Union Territories, Kashmir Times
Executive Editor Anuradha Bhasin has sought directions to restore of all modes
of communication, including mobile internet and landline services.
The UN Security Council, meanwhile, is scheduled to hold a rare meeting on Kashmir behind closed doors. poland, which currently holds the Security Council's rotating presidency, has listed the matter for discussion at 10:00 am (7:30 pm IST). It is extremely rare for the Security Council to discuss Kashmir. The last time there was a full Security Council meeting on the Himalayan region was in 1965.
In a separate petition filed on August 10, Bhasin said she is seeking a direction for the Centre and the Jammu and Kashmir administration to immediately relax all restrictions on freedom of movement of journalists and media personnel in Kashmir and some districts of Jammu and the direction was sought to enable media personnel to practice their profession and exercise their right to report in furtherance of their rights under Articles 14, 19 (1) (a) and 19 (1) (g) and 21 of the Constitution as well as the right to know of the residents of the Kashmir Valley.
Nirmala Sitharaman had crucial meeting about disinvestment of Air India Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is scheduled to hold a crucial meeting on Wednesday regarding the disinvestment of Air India. The national carrier reportedly incurred a net loss of around Rs 8,400 crore in the financial year 2018-19. The total revenue of the state-run carrier stood around Rs 26,400 crore during the year under review.
- Why SEBI mulls new mechanism for Auditors and Gatekeepers?
- Bengal Durga Pooja organizers reeling due to economic slump
- Why ailing auto sector been in reverse gear for the 10 months?
- Uber and Ola is preferred over an own car by millennial, says Nirmila Sitaraman on decline in car sales
- Airlines have to pay taxes for certain services
- Mother Dairy increased price of cow milk by Rs 2 to Rs 44 a litre in Delhi-NCR
- Gold rate rices to Peak
- Oil prices recovered some ground, depress demand in the future
- With there be cutting of taxes on Motor Vehicles?
- MPC has cut repo rate by 25 bps to 5.75 percent
- SBI decided to halt lending to dealers of Hyundai Motor India
- India's non-alcoholic Malt Drink Mart gets Coca Cola
- Gold prices could go up further if global trade tussle continues
- AirAsia India introducing additional flights from September 20, 2019
- Income tax officials able to use manual communication with assessee only in exceptional cases