In a laboratory in vitro setting, Kalidas Shetty, PhD, currently a professor of plant science at North Dakota State University, and the research’s lead author, Dr. Dipayan Sarkar, studied the compounds found in two pear varieties, Bartlett and Starkrimson, in order to better understand the impact of those compounds on chronic diseases. The results suggest fermentation of these pear cultivars further enhances their ability to control stomach related diseases involving H. pylori, the most common chronic bacterial infection in humans, without affecting beneficial bacteria with probiotic potential.
Commenting about the research, Dr. Kalidas Shetty said, “Bacteria is often perceived as something that causes diseases; however, the body is full of bacteria that are mostly good. It’s exciting to explore the potential that pears can have to balance beneficial bacterial activity in the digestive process, as gut health helps support overall health of the body.”
In addition to studying the probiotic potential of pears, the researchers looked at pears as part of a dietary strategy to provide efficient and effective management options to combat diet-linked non-communicable diseases like type 2 diabetes and its associated cardiovascular disease complications. The study found that Bartlett and Starkrimson pear varieties have compounds such as phenolics and antioxidants as well as activity that slows down enzymes related to starch and glucose metabolism, which relates to managing early stages of hyperglycemia and diabetes-induced hypertension. Pears are among the most popular fruits in the world, and are an excellent source of fiber and a good source of vitamin C for only 100 calories per serving. One medium pear provides about 24 percent of daily fiber needs. And, they are sodium-free, cholesterol-free, fat-free, and contain 190 mg of potassium. An overall balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables, including pears, provides micronutrients, vitamins, dietary fiber, potassium, antioxidants, and more.
Dr. Shetty’s new research builds on a previous in vitro study that explored the pulp extracts of different pear varieties and how they impact absorption of glucose during digestion. It is not known if the results of either of these in vitro studies can be replicated in humans, but these findings provide the scientific rationale to perform human studies in the future.
Visit www.usapears.org for additional pear research, nutrition resources, and recipes.For more information, please visit: www.facebook.com/USAPears.IndiaAbout Pear Bureau Northwest The Pear Bureau Northwest was established in 1931 as a non-profit marketing organization to promote, advertise and develop markets for fresh pears grown in Oregon and Washington. Pears from these two Northwest states are distributed under the USA Pears logo. Collectively, Oregon and Washington comprise USA's largest pear producing region. They produce 84% of all fresh pears grown in the United States and 92% of America's fresh pear exports. The 1,600 growers and 73 packers and shippers represented by the Pear Bureau Northwest take pride in their ability to produce the finest USA Pears for the world market.
Are you Lying around in the Bed whole Weekend? Well, that's really Good for you! Well, are you a Lazy goose who sleeps a lot on the Weekend? You should be happy as it is really good for you! A recent study says that it's quite a good idea to catch some sleep on the weekend. A recent study says the amount of time people spend sleeping in total is more important than the number of hours
- Host Kristen Bell and Other Major Celebrities Accessorized with Platinum Jewelry at the 24th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards
- Zingbi A Multi-designer Store Exclusively for Women takes Designer Wear Buying Experience
- Vijayawada Witnesses Mahaprabhu Jis Yoga with Yogacharya Amit Dev
- Avaance Launches Osteofit-k2, No Pain Roll-on Gel and No Pain Oil
- New Research Investigates Potential Probiotic Benefits of a Pear-Enriched Diet
- A US based Aesthetic Center Introduces an Upscale Skincare Brand Ka-Lon in Indian Market
- Home Credit India Crosses Milestone of 5 Million Customers
- Magicbricks Spreads the Warmth again with the Second Season of MagicBag Initiative
- Bajaj Finserv Offers Lowest Interest Rate of 8.30 percent on Home Loans
- Vodafone Guarantees Savings With New RED
- GorakhpurOnline.in & Gorakhpur Mahotsav Announce Tie-Up to Put City on the World Map
- Newly Weds Zaheer Khan and Sagarika Ghatge Unveil a Specially Curated Platinum Evara Collection at Abaran Jewellers
- Herbalife Nutrition Strengthens Heart Health Category in India with the Launch of Niteworks
- Indias First Premium Wellness Oriented Co-working Space
- Four Points by Sheraton Brings in Mandap Pop Up 2.0