A study says while it might sound like fun to work around pets every day, veterinarians and people who volunteer at animal shelters face particular stressors that can place them at risk for depression, anxiety and even suicide. "People who work or volunteer with animals are often drawn to it because they see it as a personal calling. However, they are faced with animal suffering and death on a routine basis, which can lead to burnout, compassion fatigue and mental health issues," said angela K Fournier from Bemidji State University in the US.
Veterinarians in particular are at high risk for death by suicide, according to a study from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, which found that from 1979 to 2015, veterinarians died by suicide between two to 3.5 times more often than the general US population. While veterinarians who are dealing with mental health issues may exhibit symptoms common to all populations, such as sadness that interferes with daily activities or changes in appetite.
According to the researchers, increased medical errors, absenteeism, client complaints and spending too little or too much time at work are factors to watch for. The research team believes there needs to be a paradigm shift in veterinary training to better prepare veterinarians not only for the animal-related aspects of their jobs, but the human elements as well.
People get together to clean city beaches Visakhapatnam: The Eastern Naval Command (ENC) and various organisations like the Coast Guard, India Youth for Society (IYFS) and WWF-India undertook a series of cleanup drives on the beaches of Vizag on the occasion of International Coastal Clean-up Day on Saturday.
- Are you shifting to Vegan diets, chances of Brain Nutrient Deficiency?
- Treatment for Chikungunya through these Foods
- Amy Jackson expecting her first child with fiancé George Panayiotou in October
- Drink Tea to get better organized brain functioning
- Why people gain weight as they become older?
- The ace birdwatcher of Vizag
- A 30 feet Ganesha made of 2 lakh bangles steals the show
- YouTube to pay Fine for violating Kids Privacy Law
- Try hot yoga for Blood pressure issues
- Slim people always stays slim
- Sushmita Sen took her daughter to Maldives to gift her this experience on her 10th Birthday
- Doing household chores reduces early death
- Protecting your Family from Flu this Monsoon
- Husband during Delivery reduces Childbirth pain
- Is it possible to predict death by this New Blood test?