Chicago sources have stated that American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has taken the unusual step of issuing a travel advisory to US citizens as well as visitors against travelling to the southern state of Texas warning that “people of color” could be subject to profiling. The ACLU “travel alert” follows the passage of Senate Bill 4 (SB4), the so-called “sanctuary cities” bill, into law. Texas Governor Greg Abbot signed the bill into law in a Facebook Live event earlier this week.
SB4 requires law enforcement agencies across the state to honor U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainers. These are requests to hold someone in jail while their immigration status is checked out. The SB4 legislation is in response to Texas cities like Austin, that have come under fire for resisting full cooperation with ICE agents. SB4 penalizes police officers for the failure to detain and turn over undocumented immigrants to federal authorities.
ACLU said in a statement that “The law gives a
green light to police officers in the state to investigate a person’s
immigration status during a routine traffic stop, leading to widespread racial
profiling, baseless scrutiny, and illegal arrests of citizens and non-citizens
alike presumed to be “foreign” based on how they look or sound".
Texas is one of the states which have a large and growing number of Indian Americans, along with other states like New York, New Jersey, California and Illinois. Houston, the fourth largest city in the US, has grown into one of the most ethnically-diverse cities in the country.
Richest Man in History is Amazon CEO New York sources have made a statement that Xinhua news agency reported that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is now the world’s richest man, not just at present, but of all time. Accordingly both Bloomberg and Forbes have put Bezos on top of their billionaire lists. Bloomberg said Bezos’ net worth reached $106 billion while Forbes put it at $105 billion as of Wednesday.
- Richest Man in History is Amazon CEO
- . Despite freezing cold weather 8000 devotees and visitors thronged the Hindu Temple of Atlanta
- Aziz Ismail Ansari won Best Actor in Golden Globe Award
- Indian American files nomination in US Congress
- New replacement of person in Foreign Secretary
- Indian American counseling psychologist Ramesh Gune emerging as a key influencer in PTSD battle
- NRIs registering themselves as 'overseas electors' seen a two-fold jump in the last three years
- Overseas Citizen of India card to be applied within a week
- Microsoft campus to surprise employees with a Cricketing Field
- South Style of cooking is underrated as per people's thinking
- Trump emphasized that US been cheated while its citizens were ill-served at home
- US state of Nevada's Cardiologist arrested on 39 charges of unlawful distribution
- Aadhaar is not necessary for NRI's those who prefer IT returns
- US' EB5 visa scheme extended till December 22
- Less Focus on H1-B Visas says USA Ambassador - Will it impact on Indian companies?