Washington sources have stated that the US Senate has approved the nomination of Indian American Ajit Varadaraj Pai for a second term as the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Chairman. Meanwhile Pai, whose term was to end later this year, was reappointed for a five year term after getting a majority of 52-41, with most of the Democrats voting against him as they complained that Pai will undermine net neutrality.
According to sources Pai has served as a Commissioner at the FCC since 2012. President Donald Trump had earlier nominated him for another term as Republicans aim at further accelerating their ambitious tech agenda and the FCC is the federal authority regulating cell phone spectrum and services, radio, television, phone, internet and satellite and cable. It also has a major role in controlling the content of television and radio.
Earlier Pai was
appointed by the new administration as the Chairman of FCC in the wake of Tom
Wheeler emitting the office earlier this year. His tenure with the FCC as
commissioner received a one-year extension in July 2016, giving him an
opportunity to become the FCC Chairman.
Indian American holds First place in Democratic Primary Houston sources added that American has finished first in the Democratic primary in a congressional district in the US state of Texas, but will have to face a fellow party leader in the May 22 runoff to earn the right to take on the Republican candidate. Sri Preston Kulkarni, 39, received 9,466 votes (nearly 32%) while his fellow Democrat Letitia Plummer got 7,230 votes (24.3 per cent) in the Democratic primary in Texas' 22nd congressional district. There were five candidates in the race.
- Can NRI's invest in Mutual funds in India?
- Rare signed Gandhi photo auctioned in US
- Indian nationals foreign investor group in Dubai real estate, bought properties worth 83.65 billion
- Chicago's campaign about Trump's immigration policies catapulted
- Number of US citizens who want more gun control is growing
- US President imitated PM Narendra Modi on Harley Davidson tariff issue
- Muslim girl murdered after returning from US Mosque
- Group in Maharashtra Aurangabad filed complaints against Priya Varrier
- Bangladeshi diplomat accused for labor trafficking
- Changed status of Nirav Modi as NRI known to Indian Banks
- President Trump pushed for a merit based immigration system that admits skilled people
- 101 year old athlete Mann Kaur walks the famous Sky Tower and creates record
- Florida fire shooting kills 17 students
- Neil Chatterjee appointed by Trump for FERC is highly skillful
- Trump condemns the crime in Portland