Los Angeles sources reported that Fox network executives are aware of the Apu controversy, but they are not planning to guide “The Simpsons” creative team on how to handle it. The Indian origin character Apu Nahasapeemapetilon has been criticized for portraying racist stereotypes about Indian people, all the while being voiced by a white man Hank Azaria.
The most prominent criticism came in late 2017 when comedian Hari Kondabolu came out with a documentary “The Problem with Apu”, examining the effect of the character and other racial stereotypes. The makers of the show addressed this controversy in an episode which essentially shrugs at the row without offering any solutions, which was met with backlash by fans and advocates, including Kondabolu himself.
Moreover during the network’s Q&A session at
the Television Critics Association press tour on Thursday, Fox executives
didn’t express much concern about the character and Fox Television Group
chairman and CEO Dana Walden said “In a day of social media where fans are able
to have a public forum, she can’t say ultimately we were surprised at the
reaction”. Furthermore in terms of concerns about Apu himself, Walden expressed
trust in “The Simpsons” team.
Indian professor honored with Outstanding Investigator Award New York sources reported that the US National Cancer Institute has give the “Outstanding Investigator Award” to Professor Arul Chinnaiyan, from the University of Michigan, and $6.5 million in funding over seven years, to identify cancer biomarkers to improve diagnosis and develop new targeted therapies.
- Indian origin Doctor pleaded guilty to fraud in healthcare
- Ro Khanna to revoke Myanmar State Counselor Suu Kyi Congressional Gold Medal
- Americans wants Trump to be focused and Presidential: Pramila Jayapal
- India inclusion on US Trade list point of friction between New Delhi & Washington
- Indian Woman Research Scholar of University of Washington awarded
- Indian origins involve in multi-million Call center scam
- India called US for issuance of H-1B Visas
- AR. Rahman rocks Atlanta people by his Music
- Aisha Yaqoob defeated Wayne Slear
- American Federal Judge arrests of immigrants week Green Card
- Donald Trump administration supporting Asian Americans suing Ivy League Harvard University
- UN Assistant Secretary General appointment for Indian
- 140 nations participating in AMVER, providing a global safety net for mariners
- Indo-Canadian Business Man awarded for defamed in fake news
- Sikh killed by Store Worker arrested