New York sources reported that “No American should be denied admission to school because of their race,” the Justice Department said in a document filed in a Massachusetts court on Thursday to back Asian Americans. “As a recipient of taxpayer dollars, Harvard has a responsibility to conduct its admissions policy without racial discrimination by using meaningful admissions criteria that meet lawful requirements,” said the department headed Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
The suit was filed in 2014 by Students for Fair Admissions (SFFA) on behalf of high-performing Asian students a category that includes Indians who allege that Harvard discriminates against them on the basis of their race. The case is scheduled to be taken up for trial in October. Either way it is decided, the case is expected to have wide repercussions for educational institutions across the US and impact affirmative action programs that are in theory geared to help certain disadvantaged minorities.
Harvard College, the undergraduate institution of
the university that is at the center of the suit, is headed by an Indian
American, Rakesh Khurana. The organizations that complained to the Justice
Department include the Global Organization of Persons of Indian Origin,
National Federation of Indian-American Associations, American Society of
Engineers of Indian Origin, and BITS Sindri Alumni Association of North India.
11 year old boy rescued 34 year old man drowning in pool Atlanta sources reported that an 11 year old Indian American boy is being praised for pulling an unconscious 34 year old man from the bottom of the deep-end of a pool and saving his life. Advaik Nandikotkur was with his uncle and mother at an indoor pool in the family’s apartment complex in Eagan, Minnesota recently when the man wandered into the deep end and became unresponsive.
- PM Narendra Modi will award medals to winners of 'Bharat Ko Janiye' quiz on January 22
- Indian American spokesman of White House left Trump administration
- Race for US 2020 President Election likely to see a Hindu representative
- ICC welcomed USA Cricket as its newest member
- Indian Graduate shot dead in Atlanta
- Donald Trump stirred a diplomatic tempest by ridiculing development of India in Afghanistan
- Man arrested for killing Indian American cop
- Indian American Teenager won University hackathon
- Indian American Cop shot dead during traffic stop
- Nalgonda district teens killed in Tennessee fire accident
- 2 people charged in murder for hire of an executive chef in California
- New Indian Ambassador to US appointed
- Saikat Chakrabarti, Chief of Staff to newly elected Congresswoman is among Politico's "Power List" of people
- Why Nehal Chudasama failed to make it to Top 20 of Miss Universe 2018?
- 54 Year Old Man charged for assaulting Indian Origin Woman