Bengaluru sources stated that the California based Marconi Society, which has instituted the award, said on Tuesday that Indian born woman research scholar from the University of Washington won the Paul Baran Young Scholar Award for 2018 for using smart phones to detect life-threatening symptoms. The society said “Nandakumar Rajalakshmi is the winner of this year’s Young Scholar Award for her outstanding research work in detecting life-threatening symptoms using smart phones”.
Meanwhile when inspired by bats, which use sonar to navigate in the dark by sending acoustic signals and using reflections to identify objects, Rajalakshmi, 28, has turned a smart phone into an active sonar system to detect physiological activity like movement or respiration in a human body by a remote device. Accordingly “Rajalakshimi’s system works by transmitting inaudible sound signals from a smart phone’s speaker and tracking their reflections off the human body. The reflections are analyzed by algorithms and signal processing techniques”.
Rajalakshmi told “She wanted to find a way to
detect physiological signals, like pulse and heart rate, which are used for
healthcare applications. When she found that many consumer electronic devices have
speakers and microphones, she decided to study if inaudible signals could help
detect physiological movement”.
Kamala Harris launched her campaign for the White House Washington sources reported that Democrat Kamala Harris, the first Indian-American to serve in the US Senate, launched her campaign for the White House on Monday while appearing on ABC’s Good Morning America. Meanwhile in a brief video from her campaign that was released on the social media at the same time she appeared on the show, Harris called on her supporters to join with her to “claim our future”.
- 11 year old boy rescued 34 year old man drowning in pool
- PM Narendra Modi will award medals to winners of 'Bharat Ko Janiye' quiz on January 22
- Indian American spokesman of White House left Trump administration
- Race for US 2020 President Election likely to see a Hindu representative
- ICC welcomed USA Cricket as its newest member
- Indian Graduate shot dead in Atlanta
- Donald Trump stirred a diplomatic tempest by ridiculing development of India in Afghanistan
- Man arrested for killing Indian American cop
- Indian American Teenager won University hackathon
- Indian American Cop shot dead during traffic stop
- Nalgonda district teens killed in Tennessee fire accident
- 2 people charged in murder for hire of an executive chef in California
- New Indian Ambassador to US appointed
- Saikat Chakrabarti, Chief of Staff to newly elected Congresswoman is among Politico's "Power List" of people
- Why Nehal Chudasama failed to make it to Top 20 of Miss Universe 2018?