Sources from New Delhi have stated that the Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi on Sunday appealed the Centre to release funds on urgent basis for procurement of paper trail machines, ahead of 2019 Lok Sabha Elections. Zaidi’s appeal came in the wake of recent protests by Opposition parties against electronic voting machines (EVMs). According to the reports, the Election Commission would need over 16 lakh voter-verifiable paper audit trails (VVPATs), at an estimated cost of Rs 3,174 crore to cover all polling stations in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
As per the reports from sources it was stated that the CEC has written a letter to law ministry mentioning the apex court direction while hearing a contempt petition, during which it has asked the poll panel to state the rough schedule within which the entire system of voter verifiable paper audit trail (VVPAT) can be introduced. The EC has said that machines can be manufactured within 30 months from the date of release of funds.
It was added by the CEC in
a written letter to the law of ministry that “the process of procurement of
VVPATs cannot be delayed any longer given the prevailing environment… The
commission stands fully committed to deploying VVPATs along with EVMs in all
future elections so that transparency of electoral process is enhanced, the
integrity of the voting preserved and the voters’ confidence in the process is
Earlier also, the Commission had informed Modi government that if they do not place the order for the machines by February, it won’t be easy for the manufacturers to supply them by September 2018 and after the Assembly election results on March 11, BSP supremo Mayawati, Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal and Congress party had alleged that the EVMs were tampered with in such a way that whichever button was pressed, the vote went to Bharatiya Janata Party.
Jagan & Pawan challenged moving a no-confidence motion against NDA government According to sources the Central Ministry for Home has called for a meeting with chief secretary of Andhra Pradesh on 23rd February to discuss on reorganization act implementations, Vishakhapatnam railway zone, budged deficit, steel plant in Kadapa, Dugarajapatnam port and bifurcation of schedule IX and X institutions. Meanwhile the ministry also invited state principal secretary of finance and other officials to attend this meeting with a comprehensive report in this regard.
- Maldives President imposed state of emergency on February 5 for 15 days
- Scamster Nirav Modi's firms raided last year
- Actor Kamal Hassan unveils his party flag, name and will hoist the party flag today
- Saudi Arabian government comes to the help of women!
- Sidharamaiah's direct attack on Modi!!
- Arumbakkam Chain snatcher nabbed by cops!!
- Getting the View Button in Google Image Search - Here's what you need to do!
- Apple released updates for watchOS, tvOS, and macOS to stop the crash
- Did Schools showed PM Modi's speech to students preparing for exams?
- Nirav Modi pens to PNB for spoiling his brand
- Investors & big industrialists only proved UP is not poor
- Human like robot favorite actor is SRK
- Bangkok court awarded paternity rights to a Japanese man for his work
- Is Trump eldest son visiting India to help sell luxury apartments?
- KFC shuts some restaurants in UK