According to sources the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) has rejected the appeal which was made by Flipkart against an earlier decision by the department to impose a penalty of $17 million (Rs 110 crore). Meanwhile the tax assessing authority has not accepted the practice of treating discounts and marketing spends as revenue expenditure and to show losses in the operations.
Accordingly the department wants these expenses to be reclassified as capital expenditure and amortized over a few years. Meanwhile the plea by the online retailer to stay the operation of the demand due to its financial situation also did not find favor with the IT authorities since they felt such financial hardship, in their opinion, does not exist.
Presently Flipkart has found a supporter in former CEO of Infosys, Mohandas Pai who feels the concept of treating the discounts and marketing outgo as part of the operating costs should be permitted for online retailers. It may be for the government to come out with a notification in this regard.
AK Sikri declines joining commonwealth tribunal! Justice AK Sikri has rejected the central government position at the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal (CSAT). CBI director Alok Verma was ousted from his post last week, with AK Sikri being an important member of the vigilance committee that was headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and this was the committee that decided to remove
- Kodanadu estate case investigation in peaks!
- UP minister's tells people to burn politicians!
- Supreme Court notice to central govt!
- A Judge partially blocked a set of Trump administration rules
- Follow Indian Traditions Leave Western Lifestyles: Venkaiah Naidu
- Unresolved differences between Kanchi Seer and Mahatma Gandhi continues
- Cockpit Voice recorder of Lion Air Jet found
- Modi said BJP worker is driven by National Interest & not by any self-interest
- KCR plans that will last generations
- RBI tokenizes transactions made through Debit, Credit & Prepaid Cards in India
- TNSTC announced it will operate an additional 14,263 services for Pongal
- Modi calls DMK as the biggest enemy!
- Terrorists killed in early morning encounter!
- Dinakaran Vs Anbazhagan catches fire!
- Tehelka editor reveals shocker!