According to sources International Women's Day is also referred to as the UN Day for Women's Rights and International Peace. The primary intent behind marking the day is to celebrate achievements of women till date. Moreover the history of first women's empowerment dates back to 1908 in NYC when women numbering 15000 marched demanding the right to vote and better pay and work hours.
Meanwhile the first women' day was announced in 1909 by the Socialist Party of America. But the proposal to mark it as International Women's Day was made by Clara Zetkin the following year at Copenhagen in an International Conference of Working Women which got unanimous nod from the participants and delegates.
Further over 100
countries now celebrate International Women's Day. In fact countries like Afghanistan,
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, China (for women only),
Cuba, Georgia, Guinea-Bissau, Eritrea, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Madagascar
(for women only), Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Nepal also mark International
Women's Day as an official holiday for women.
Putin uses election run-up to emphasize Russia's role as a major world power Moscow sources reported that Russia on Sunday is set to elect Vladimir Putin to a historic fourth Kremlin term, as the country faces increasing isolation over a spy poisoning in Britain and a fresh round of US sanctions. Meanwhile since taking power 18 years ago, Putin has stamped his total authority on the country, silencing opposition and reasserting Moscow's lost might abroad.
- Jagan Mohan Reddy will be the new Chief Minister says YSR Panchangam!
- Saudi Crown Prince Vision 2030 seeks to jump-start women's sports
- KCR plans to meet West Bengal CM soon
- Sonia Gandhi feels Modi's policies are dramebaazi
- Issue of No Confidence Motion brought attention of nation towards AP
- Sri Lanka lifted a week-long ban on Facebook
- Why Shami wants to meet West Bengal CM?
- President arrived in Bhubaneswar on a two day visit to Odisha
- US to assess the impact of Heartfulness Meditation on insomnia
- Pawan blasted Chandrababu Naidu, since he is misguided
- US provides 15% of its weapons imports throughout globe
- Presidential period prolonged for Xi Jingping
- Singapore, worlds most expensive city for 5th consecutive year
- Ugadi celebrations and scientific reasons?
- US President criticized by United States for election meddling & other actions