According to sources after a series of scams in the Banking sector, the govt. revenue sleuths have unearthed a new scam, the TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) scam worth Rs 3,200 crore. Meanwhile according to reports, as many as 447 companies haven't paid the tax to the govt. after deducting the same from their employees for the period April 2017 to March 2018.
Sources have reported that these companies, under the Income Tax Act, are to deduct TDS on behalf of the govt. and deposit it into the government account within a prescribed time frame. Meanwhile they however have been found guilty of deducting the tax from the employees and using for their business interests.
Further the tax evasion offense attracts a minimum
punishment of rigorous imprisonment of three months to a maximum of seven years
with fine. The offenders are from various sectors including real estate, film
industry, infrastructure and start-ups. Some of the offenders are reportedly
politically well connected and accordingly the IT dept. has initiated
prosecution against all these firms.
IFF kick-started in Chennai Accordingly the 16th edition of the Chennai International Film Festival was kicked off in the city on Thursday with an inaugural function held at Kalaivanar Arangam. Reports added the festival will continue for a week until December 20. It is spearheaded by Indo Cine Appreciation Foundation (ICAF), CIFF is an annual event that showcases some of the best National and International films and draws a huge crowd of cinephiles, both young and old from across the state.
- Nepal Govt banned usage of Indian Currency Notes
- Banks be closed for 5 Days due to Merger
- Has Harish Rao's post given by TRS Party Supreme KCR?
- TRS party considering giving a representation to EC regarding symbol issues
- 13 Miners trapped in Coal pit yet to be rescued
- Donald Trump's son-in-law short listed for President's next chief of staff
- Rehana Fathima gets a bail and ban!
- BJP to focus on caste based votes!