Colombo sources have stated that Sri Lanka yesterday declared a state of emergency for 10 days after violent clashes broke out between Buddhists and minority Muslims in the country's central Kandy district that left two persons dead. Accordingly President Maithripala Sirisena and the Cabinet had decided to declare a state of emergency for 10 days following the violence prevailed in some parts of the country.
Meanwhile the Minister of Social Empowerment S B Dissanayake said a Gazette notification would be issued right away, he told reporters outside the President's Secretariat, where the Cabinet meeting was held. He quoted “There are allegations that the law was not implemented to minimize the impact of these tense situations. Now, the Police and Army personnel had been deployed to respective areas to beef up security".
Moreover Dissanayake said the President could
decide at the end of the 10 days, whether to extend the state of emergency.
Accordingly the elite special task force was deployed in the area after riots
broke out following the death of an assault victim, a Sinhalese, who was
attacked by the members of the minority community.
Putin uses election run-up to emphasize Russia's role as a major world power Moscow sources reported that Russia on Sunday is set to elect Vladimir Putin to a historic fourth Kremlin term, as the country faces increasing isolation over a spy poisoning in Britain and a fresh round of US sanctions. Meanwhile since taking power 18 years ago, Putin has stamped his total authority on the country, silencing opposition and reasserting Moscow's lost might abroad.
- Jagan Mohan Reddy will be the new Chief Minister says YSR Panchangam!
- Saudi Crown Prince Vision 2030 seeks to jump-start women's sports
- KCR plans to meet West Bengal CM soon
- Sonia Gandhi feels Modi's policies are dramebaazi
- Issue of No Confidence Motion brought attention of nation towards AP
- Sri Lanka lifted a week-long ban on Facebook
- Why Shami wants to meet West Bengal CM?
- President arrived in Bhubaneswar on a two day visit to Odisha
- US to assess the impact of Heartfulness Meditation on insomnia
- Pawan blasted Chandrababu Naidu, since he is misguided
- US provides 15% of its weapons imports throughout globe
- Presidential period prolonged for Xi Jingping
- Singapore, worlds most expensive city for 5th consecutive year
- Ugadi celebrations and scientific reasons?
- US President criticized by United States for election meddling & other actions