Washington sources reported that NASA is planning to send the first unmanned helicopter to Mars in its mission scheduled to launch in 2020, to test the viability and potential of heavier-than-air vehicles on the red planet. It was started in August 2013 as a technology development project at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), the Mars Helicopter had to prove that big things could come in small packages.
Meanwhile the result of the team's four years of design, testing and redesign weighs in at little less than 1.8 kilograms. Further its fuselage is about the size of a softball, and its twin, counter rotating blades will bite into the thin Martian atmosphere at almost 3,000 rotations per minute about 10 times the rate of a helicopter on Earth.
Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission
Directorate at the agency headquarters in Washington said "Exploring the
red planet with NASA's Mars Helicopter exemplifies a successful marriage of
science and technology innovation and is a unique opportunity to advance Mars
exploration for the future". Moreover Zurbuchen said "After the
Wright Brothers proved 117 years ago that powered, sustained, and controlled
flight was possible here on Earth, another group of American pioneers may prove
the same can be done on another world”.
Can we know in advance about the condition & intensity of rains? Chennai sources stated that in an effort that could go some way in preparing the people for any imminent threat arising out of the monsoon rains, the State Revenue Department has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Centre for Coastal Research, to know in advance about the condition and intensity of rains.
- Moon's mediation & Kim's commitment at summit satisfied Washington
- India complaints on Brutal killing of BSF Soldier by Pakistan troopers
- PM Narendra Modi catapults more projects in Varanasi
- Hong Kong based airline painted out error in Company's Name
- Big win for Women Rights activists in Muslim Community in india
- EC yet to come out with poll schedule for Telangana
- UP Govt Doctors to stage protest on October 1
- Is Kapu community is moving away from YCP?