Chennai sources reported that with prices of petrol and diesel touching record highs, the Tamilnadu government on Monday hinted it may not cut the Value Added Tax (VAT) on these products, saying they form a key part of the state's own tax revenue (SOTR). Meanwhile the Fisheries Minister D Jayakumar said the state extends benefits and sops worth Rs 77,000 crore to various segments, with salary of government employees constituting 70% of its expenditure.
Jayakumar said "The own source of income for the state is primarily from petroleum products and liquor meant for human consumption these are revenue generating sources"? Moreover Jayakumar was responding to a question on possible VAT revision by the state government with fuel prices soaring to new heights. Fuel rates touched a record high on Sunday as oil PSUs passed on four weeks of relentless rise in international crude prices to consumers.
Moreover he said India imposes high taxes on
petroleum products and urged both the BJP-led government at the Centre and the
ruling AIADMK in Tamilnadu to cut taxes on petrol and diesel to benefit the
common man. Furthermore MNM President Kamal Hassan wondered why global trends
were being blamed for the hike while there were domestic solutions to address
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!