Tuticorin sources stated that a managed around 50 year old was reportedly killed in the violence that erupted near the Tuticorin district collectorate on Tuesday when anti-Sterlite protesters defied a ban order under Section 144 of the CrPC and continued their protest march. Meanwhile the protesters are demanding closure of the Sterlite Copper Smelter located near the town. Accordingly the person killed in the violence has been identified as Tamilarasan who was associated with an organization called Puratchikara Ilaignar Munnani.
For the past 100 days the residents of Tuticorin town have been demanding closure of the Sterlite plant and had announced they would take out a march to the Tuticorin District Collectorate on Tuesday, and meet the collector N Venkatesh. Furthermore the protesting public gathered for a black flag protest near the Church of the Lady of Snow in Tuticorin, while another group started to march from Madathur village.
Media report stated that police first resorted to lathi charge and then
fired teargas shells along the route to the collectorate and inside the
premises, the destination of the protest march. Further the vehicles on the
route of the march were set on fire during the protest. Employees of the
collector’s office were evacuated as the protests intensified. Moreover as the
situation went out of control, more than 2,000 police personnel from the
southern districts of Madurai, Ramanathapuram, Theni, Dindigul were deployed to
Mobile app to track air pollution developed by Delhi students Accordingly when the air quality in Delhi and other cities in the north is deteriorating with pollution level touching ‘hazardous’ mark, a new mobile app promises to be of some help. The app, Air Cognizer, uses camera images to estimate air pollution level in the vicinity. The idea has won its developer an award by the US based Marconi Society.
- PM Narendra Modi campaigned at Chhattisgarh
- Congress privilege motion against Modi!
- Yogi Adityanath's hug challenge!
- Hyderabad Metro recording footfall of 80,000-85,000 passengers per day
- Controversial Ad of Kalyan Jewelry removed
- Donald Trump unlikely to get boot from Twitter even after threatening Iran
- Pack your Condoms too if you are going on a Tour of France - Here's Why...
- US Officials apologize to Sikh Minister as they forced to remove his Turban
- Two-Wheeler owners to get incentives?
- Leaders can take a lesson or two to watch KTR & Pawan words in public
- Iraqi Airways suspend 2 pilots who fought for food tray
- AP Govt taken a sensational decision restricting CBI's entry into AP
- Mahindra & Mahindra rolled out electric 3 wheeler auto rickshaw in Bengaluru
- Sabarimala Temple Police Officers instructed to follow new Dress Code
- Will Pawan Kalyan contest from Eluru Constituency?