In the protests held by innocent protesters in Thoothukudi demanding the permanent shutdown of the killer factory Sterlite copper owned by the giant corporate Vedanta groups, the police had killed more than 20 people in firing incidents twice, including deaths of 3 women as well. The people had thronged to the Thoothukudi collector office in large numbers, following which the collectorate was surrounded by them.
Police had initially confronted them with Lathi charges, and then finally resorted to Gun firing after the collector had issued firing orders. Many vehicles in the collector office were burnt, and the whole office was destroyed by the angry protesters who were further angered by the death of a civilian. The police had attacked even the media people, and even the housing board of Sterlite employees was damaged and set to fire.
Other than the shooting at the
collector office, the police had also resorted to firing at Terespuram, when
they tried to surround the SP office. Without caring about the lives of people
of Thoothukudi, the Chief Minister Edappadi Palanisamy had been announcing
relief of 1 lakh, 3 lakhs for injured and 10 lakhs for the families of the
deceased. All the trains from Tuticorin have been cancelled.
Cyclone Alert over west-central Bay of Bengal: IMD Accordingly a cyclone alert has been issued for the northern coastal region of the state of Andhra Pradesh with the Indian Meteorological Department predicting 'very heavy to extremely heavy' rains in the region. Meanwhile the IMD has stated that depression has formed over west-central Bay of Bengal which could intensify into a cyclonic storm.
- Why BJP spoiled alliance between TDP and TRS?
- Pakistan ready to discuss terrorism, Imran Khan pens PM Modi
- Bilateral dialogue between Washington & Pyongyang stalled on how to move denuclearization process
- Signing up for the credit line to receive Instant access on Flipkart
- Train Services stopped at Kerala, Bengaluru & Coastal Karnataka resumes
- Mis-happening at Jet Airways focus Mumbai to Jaipur
- Police tightens grip on H Raja!
- Karunas blackmails police!
- HAL former chief on Rafel controversy!
- Coimbatore college Managing Director's Cheap act!
- AICC names leaders for 10 election related committees
- Stormy Daniels claimed that US President has 'an unusual penis'
- Can we know in advance about the condition & intensity of rains?
- Moon's mediation & Kim's commitment at summit satisfied Washington
- India complaints on Brutal killing of BSF Soldier by Pakistan troopers