Tuticorin sources stated that Tamilnadu government said on Thursday that it was seeking a permanent closure of a big copper smelter run by London-listed Vedanta Resources after 13 people died in protests demanding the closure of the plant on environmental grounds. Sandeep Nanduri, the top official of the district where the plant is located said "The government's position is very clear, it doesn't want the plant to run”.
Earlier on Tuesday, police opened fire on protesters demanding that the smelter in the port city of Thoothukudi be shut down. Meanwhile in all, 13 protesters have been killed this week. Further the residents and environmental activists say emissions from the plant, India's second biggest, are polluting the air and water, affecting people's health.
Previously the authorities cut the power to the
smelter and moreover the pollution control board of Tamilnadu said the smelter,
which was shut pending renewal of its operating license, was found last week to
be preparing to resume production without permission. Moreover on Thursday,
Vedanta's Indian stock closed down 2%. Furthermore a company spokesman did not
immediately respond to a Reuters' email seeking comment on Tamilnadu's closure
plan and the allegation that it had been preparing to resume production without
Migrants figures shown a negative growth of 11.6% from Kerala Accordingly a new study says factors like the declining population in the 19-25 age groups and stagnant wages in the Gulf countries could be responsible for migration from Kerala declining 11% between 2013 and 2018. S. Irudayarajan, who led the Kerala Migration Survey (KMS) 2018 told reporters in Thiruvananthapuram
- Uber's Food delivery launched Insurance Program in partnership with Tata AIG
- Investigation about Sewing Needle hidden in Strawberries
- Karnataka Govt reduced state taxes on petrol & diesel
- Is YS Jagan caught in a trap?
- Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh testifies hearing before Senate Judiciary Committee
- Major Fire Accident at Kanya Cinema Theater, Visakhapatnam
- T Rajendar coming to Thiruvarur?
- Auto driver attacked for questioning BJP leader on Petrol price hike!
- Yet again Petrol Price goes up...
- Case against Thirumurugan Gandhi dismissed!
- H Raja's words will help fascism!
- H Raja receives High court order!
- Babies born yesterday on PM Modi's birthday gifted gold rings at Chennai
- TN couple received Petrol as Marriage Gift!!!
- Ramdev will not campaign for BJP in 2019 elections