After the Thoothukudi protests against Sterlite had turned violent with cops shooting and killing 13 innocent civilians, an order was passed to ban internet in the city for 4 days, as a supposed measure to avoid spreading of false information.
When the order was passed, even the Madurai bench of Madras High court had come down against it, questioning that while internet shutdown in Thoothukudi alone can prevent rumors from spreading, why it was done in Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari. In case of Snowlin who was brutally killed in the protests, her family was not able to get updates on her body.
The court had ordered to preserving
the body, snowlin's family members were asked to sign postmortem formality
papers. With internet shutdown, people who were running out of talk time
balance could not recharge mobiles or communicate through WhatsApp or Facebook
and even the shops were closed due to 144 implementation, making even recharges
impossible. The internet shutdown had also resulted in lack of communication
and economic losses.
Will Simbu's Fans do Milk Abhishekam on cut-outs? According to sources the Tamilnadu Milk Dealers Welfare Association (TNMDWA), in a letter addressed to the Commissioner of Police, Chennai is seeking for a permanent ban on the practice of celebrating the release of big star films with paal abishekams (pouring of milk) on their giant cut-outs and banners.
- Will JanaSena ally with TDP or get alone?
- Tehelka Mathews makes another accusation on Jayalalitha's mysterious death!
- Tamilisai opens up on DMK alliance!
- Priyanka Gandhi enters active politics!
- Alone time given Me the strength to handle life: PM Modi
- Indian Movie nominated for Oscars
- Will Prabhas get BJP MLA ticket for 2019 Elections?
- APSRTC Employees Union calls for indefinite statewide strike from February 6
- Hyderabad HC issued notices to makers of 'Lakshmi's NTR'
- Iconic Bikini Climber dies on Mountain
- Toyota makes Joint Venture with Panasonic
- India's Air Passenger Traffic hikes
- India facing a rising tide of people unwilling to be vaccinated
- Chinese vendors flooded both online & offline channels for Smartphone selling
- TDP is seemingly attempting to tap into Kapu vote bank