Chess player Sowmya Swaminathan, grand master and former champion, Chess Junior girls’ category, has pulled out of the Asian Team chess championships which are scheduled to be held between July 26 and August 4 at Hamadan, Iran. The champion has exited the tournament after she had expressed her unwillingness to wear the head scarf which was mandated by the government in the country.
Sowmya had said that this rule forced on her tend to violate her personal rights. The champ had taken it to her Facebook page to express why she had quit the games. She had said that the Iranian law of head scarf made mandatory was directly violating her human rights, and her right to freedom of expression, religion, thought, and conscience.
To protect her rights, she opted out
of the Iran tour, explained Sowmya. Though the national practices are existing,
they should not be imposing them on sports persons, said the star. She had
expressed her apology to the board which selects her to be a part of the team
for the championship that she could not be attending the tournament as she
can't wear a burkha. In a similar incident years before, in 2016, shooter
Heena Sidhi had pulled out of Asian Airgun meet, which was again held at Iran,
and the reason being the same.
World's Most UNSAFE place for WOMEN - INDIA GETS RANK ONE In the list of countries where women do not have safety, India has topped, in a huge shocker for the nation. England based Thomas Reuters charitable organization had conducted a survey for the welfare of women, on the list of countries totally unsafe for women. The survey was conducted considering a total of 193 countries of the world.
- Baba Ramdev supporting STERLITE
- Another Survivor opens up about Lyricist Vairamuthu
- Jana Sena running out of cash
- A Shameful incident at the famous Kanaka Durga temple
- Why IT officials threw CM Ramesh's wife mobile into dustbin?
- Kerala celebrates Vijayadasami specially
- Why Parents enroll their kids in a preschool on Vijayadasami?
- Eastern India celebrates Vijayadasami in a different way
- Importance of Vijayadasami in different parts of India
- KCR to pen to One Crore Households
- Revathy's complaint goes against her!
- Siddharth the only supporter of Chinmayi!
- BJP fights Sabarimala verdict!
- "I can live in Pakistan than South India" - Siddhu speech gets viral!
- Tamilisai Soundararajan ridiculed Kamal Hassan