Washington sources reported that President Donald Trump today said he wants foreign workers to come in the US through a merit-based immigration system so as to meet the demands of companies that are moving into America in greater numbers. Meanwhile the Indian-Americans, most of whom are highly skilled and came to the US mainly on H-1B work visas, are the worst sufferers of the current immigration system which imposes a seven per cent per country quota on allotment of green cards or permanent legal residency.
Mr. Trump told reporters at the White House during a luncheon with members of the Congress that "He wants people to come into our country because our country is doing so well and have companies moving into our country at numbers that nobody has seen in a long time. We need workers. So, he wants people to come in. They have to come in through the merit system though".
Mr. Trump said responding to a question on
immigration after the US Supreme Court upheld his travel ban against people
coming from eight Muslim-majority countries "They have to come in so that
they can help our country and these companies”. Further the US president said
he is not against people coming into the country but made it clear he wants
them to come legally through a merit based system, a move which experts believe
would help qualified people from countries like India.
Tehelka Mathews makes another accusation on Jayalalitha's mysterious death! Former Tehelka editor Samuel Mathews had recently released a documentary on Kodanadu murders and thefts, where he had accused the Tamilnadu Chief minister Edappadi Palanisamy of the murders in the estate for acquiring some evidence from the estate, following which a case was filed by the TN govt against him.
- Tamilisai opens up on DMK alliance!
- Priyanka Gandhi enters active politics!
- Alone time given Me the strength to handle life: PM Modi
- Indian Movie nominated for Oscars
- Will Prabhas get BJP MLA ticket for 2019 Elections?
- APSRTC Employees Union calls for indefinite statewide strike from February 6
- Hyderabad HC issued notices to makers of 'Lakshmi's NTR'
- Iconic Bikini Climber dies on Mountain
- Toyota makes Joint Venture with Panasonic
- India's Air Passenger Traffic hikes
- India facing a rising tide of people unwilling to be vaccinated
- Chinese vendors flooded both online & offline channels for Smartphone selling
- TDP is seemingly attempting to tap into Kapu vote bank
- Former VHP leader's sensational remark on Modi!
- TN Milk agents warn Simbu!