Washington sources reported that President Donald Trump today said he wants foreign workers to come in the US through a merit-based immigration system so as to meet the demands of companies that are moving into America in greater numbers. Meanwhile the Indian-Americans, most of whom are highly skilled and came to the US mainly on H-1B work visas, are the worst sufferers of the current immigration system which imposes a seven per cent per country quota on allotment of green cards or permanent legal residency.
Mr. Trump told reporters at the White House during a luncheon with members of the Congress that "He wants people to come into our country because our country is doing so well and have companies moving into our country at numbers that nobody has seen in a long time. We need workers. So, he wants people to come in. They have to come in through the merit system though".
Mr. Trump said responding to a question on
immigration after the US Supreme Court upheld his travel ban against people
coming from eight Muslim-majority countries "They have to come in so that
they can help our country and these companies”. Further the US president said
he is not against people coming into the country but made it clear he wants
them to come legally through a merit based system, a move which experts believe
would help qualified people from countries like India.
Chiranjeevi and Jagan's Bonhomie Surprises Everyone Megastar Chiranjeevi along with his wife Surekha Konidela met Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy at the Chief Minister's official residence in Tadepalli on Monday as a courtesy call on Monday. This is the first time that the Chiranjeevi met him after YS Jagan took charge.
- Jagan Increases Rythu Bharosa Amount in the Last Minute
- Indian-American Abhijit Banerjee Selected for Nobel Prize
- India slowed considerably from go-go-years before financial crisis: Raghuram Rajan
- Jagan discussed conditions on Ghanta with Chiru!
- BJP not yet projected any chief ministerial face for upcoming Assembly polls in Delhi
- Congress Leader Rahul Gandhi campaigns for the party in Haryana today
- Investigations going on in sensational Jolly Joseph serial murders case
- North East Monsoon likely be begin in Tamilnadu from October 17
- PM Modi dared Rahul Gandhi on abrogation of Article 370
- BJP may face tough time in Thanesar seat as Ex- INLD chief joined Congress
- Mobile Phone services to be restored from October 14 at Kashmir
- Will TSRTC Bus services be restored by October 21?
- PM Modi took to Twitter to answer what he was carrying while plogging at Mamallapuram beach
- Bangladesh and Nepal are estimated to grow faster than India in 2019: WB
- PM Modi's translator for Chinese President was 2007 batch IFS from Chennai