Chennai sources reported that with the neighboring Karnataka continuing to oppose the composition of the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA), the Tamilnadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami chaired a high level meeting on Friday to assess the situation and also gear up for the July 2 meeting in New Delhi of all member states. Accordingly the meeting, summoned by the Centre, will be the first such one of the Authority after its constitution was notified earlier this month. Central Water Commission chairman S. Masood Hussain has been appointed as the chairman of CWMA.
Meanwhile Tamilnadu would be represented by the PWD secretary S. K. Prabhakar, who has been appointed as the member of the Authority. Moreover the meeting convened by Mr. Palaniswami was attended among others by Deputy CM O. Panneerselvam, Ministers and senior officials. Further according to sources, Tamilnadu would insist upon the Centre to implement the Feb. 16 verdict of the Supreme Court on Cauvery water disputes in letter and spirit and also demand the Authority to commence its work immediately.
Moreover any delay, would not only tantamount to violating the
Supreme Court judgment but also marring the prospects of Tamilnadu farmers. Furthermore
the government would also urge the Authority to ensure water is released into
the Mettur dam to facilitate agricultural activities in the Cauvery delta
areas. Moreover the sources also informed that the State government
would stress the need to link Mahanadi, Godavari, Krishna, Palar, Cauvery,
Vaigai, etc. to harness the excess water.
Chief Minister Visit canceled! Chief Minister Edappadi Palanisamy's plan to visit the Gaja cyclone affected areas in Nagapattinam had been canceled at the last moment. Gaja cyclone has wreaked havoc in delta areas of Tamilnadu, and this deadly cyclone which crossed the sea two days back, had heavy impacts on 7 districts, totally affecting the livelihood of the people there.
- Schools, Colleges announced Holiday
- Will H1-B Visa Holders to split Families?
- DeepVeer to hosts 2 Wedding Receptions
- Death toll in Tamilnadu due to Cyclone Gaja rose to 33
- NASA's Kepler space telescope to disconnect communication with Earth
- Mike Hussey feels Hardik Pandya's absence is greatest disappointment
- Anna University Exams postponed to December 13, 14 due to Cyclone Gaja
- Mobile app to track air pollution developed by Delhi students
- PM Narendra Modi campaigned at Chhattisgarh
- Congress privilege motion against Modi!
- Yogi Adityanath's hug challenge!
- Hyderabad Metro recording footfall of 80,000-85,000 passengers per day
- Controversial Ad of Kalyan Jewelry removed
- Donald Trump unlikely to get boot from Twitter even after threatening Iran
- Pack your Condoms too if you are going on a Tour of France - Here's Why...