As per report the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC)’s decision to increase AC bus fares by an average of 16.89% has not gone down well with activists and citizens. Meanwhile according to the government-run city transport corporation, the hike is to “reduce operational loss” coupled with the steady increase in fuel prices and dearness allowance for its employees.
The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Committee said in a press statement “Since January 1, a constant rise in diesel price and Dearness Allowance has contributed to an increase in staff costs and operational expenditure and with this, it is difficult to provide Vajra services at present fares”. Moreover with traffic snarls and private vehicle ownership already on the rise, Sandeep Anirudhan, a civic activist, is of the opinion that the fundamentals of BMTC’s foundations are responsible for flawed decisions like this.
He said “It is set up
as a company with expectations to make profits. It is a wrong idea to make
profits when you are using public infrastructure for free. Why should you make
profits out of citizens when you are a government body? If we don’t question
these fundamentals, we are not going to solve the problem”. Furthermore although there are no official
numbers available in public domain, the BMTC’s AC buses are touted to carry
close to 67,000 passengers daily, including its buses to and from the airport.
UP cancels leaves of field officers in view of SC verdict on Ayodhya In the view of verdict by supreme court on disputed land case of Ram Janambhoomi-Babri masjid, the administration has cancelled leaves of field officers in Uttar Pradesh, police and administration officers of all 75 districts were ordered to maintain law and order situation in the state. Additional chief secretary of Uttar Pradesh has issued a government order regarding cancellation of leaves to all field officers in the state, they were directed not to leave the district headquarters till
- SC likely to pronounce the verdict between November 04 to 17
- VHP hoping for decision in their favour after SC concludes hearing
- SC reserves order, to conduct close door proceedings on mediation panel report
- House of Representatives doesn't plan to vote an impeachment investigation into President Donald Trump
- Flipkart is in the process of applying for food retail license in India
- 3 died in PMC Bank scam case within 2 days
- Arvind Kejriwal can revive only if he secures around 60 seats, in upcoming Delhi election
- Rojo the first to complaint against Jolly in Koodathayi murders
- Telangana Governor met PM Modi to discuss RTC Strike issue
- ED arrested P Chidambaram in INX Media Case
- SC concludes hearing in Ayodhya land dispute case
- Giving all public sector banks a "lifeline" is today her primary duty: Nirmala Sitharaman
- PM Modi called opposition parties 'shameless' during campaigning for Maharashtra Assembly polls
- Did YSRCP Government failed to prove insider-trading allegations in Amravati?
- US President Donald Trump's daughter Tiffany celebrated her 26th birthday