As per report the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC)’s decision to increase AC bus fares by an average of 16.89% has not gone down well with activists and citizens. Meanwhile according to the government-run city transport corporation, the hike is to “reduce operational loss” coupled with the steady increase in fuel prices and dearness allowance for its employees.
The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Committee said in a press statement “Since January 1, a constant rise in diesel price and Dearness Allowance has contributed to an increase in staff costs and operational expenditure and with this, it is difficult to provide Vajra services at present fares”. Moreover with traffic snarls and private vehicle ownership already on the rise, Sandeep Anirudhan, a civic activist, is of the opinion that the fundamentals of BMTC’s foundations are responsible for flawed decisions like this.
He said “It is set up
as a company with expectations to make profits. It is a wrong idea to make
profits when you are using public infrastructure for free. Why should you make
profits out of citizens when you are a government body? If we don’t question
these fundamentals, we are not going to solve the problem”. Furthermore although there are no official
numbers available in public domain, the BMTC’s AC buses are touted to carry
close to 67,000 passengers daily, including its buses to and from the airport.
Narendra Modi Saved Chandrababu in IT Grids Case? A private firm, IT Grid (India), was recently accused of obtaining personal details of 7.82 crore Aadhaar holders in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana for Telugu Desam Party's Seva Mitra App. This case took a new twist the other day with reports of UIDAI of approaching the Police saying that its data has been hacked.
- BJP Member says She will change constitution!
- Kamal's apology to buffaloes!
- Kamal Haasan trolled by director!
- 564 wheel chairs used across Nilgiri constituency to help differently-abled voters
- Volunteers encourage people to vote in Mandya
- Tamilnadu recorded 39.49% voting till 1 p.m
- Donald Trump vetoed a bill to end support for Saudi-led war in Yemen
- Tamilnadu records highest voter turnouts among 11 states
- Why IT conducts raids in TN against leaders in opposition to BJP?
- PM Modi calls All Youngsters to polling booths to strengthen democracy
- Tamilnadu interiors to experience heavy rain in next 24 hours
- Overall poll percentage for Tamilnadu was 13.48% till 9 am
- All voters come out to vote: DMK President MK Stalin
- Twitter account, RG-Wayanad caters to needs of Kerala media
- Voting in Phase 2 Lok Sabha Election begins