Recently the SC has restored the power of Delhi state government and thus limited the role of Lieutenant Governor. Meanwhile in a crucial case related to the power tussle between the Delhi government and the Lieutenant Governor, SC has pronounced its verdict stating that the power lies with the elected government and L-G doesn't have any special or independent powers.
Accordingly a five judge bench led by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra made it clear that the L-G is bound by the aid and advice of the council of minister who is elected by people and who are answerable to the people. Moreover Justice D Y Chandrachud went further to say that the L-G had no independent authority of his own and recently the court also said that in a democracy, the real power must lie with the elected representatives of the people.
Furthermore it said that the LG is also bound to send files to the
President in case of differences of opinion, in exceptional matters and the
Apex court said the LG has not been inferred with independent decision-making
powers. He cannot act as an "obstructionist". Moreover the Supreme
Court added that the LG and the Delhi government have to work harmoniously. The
bench said “LG must realize that it is the Council of Ministers, who are
answerable to the people and he cannot stall every decision of the National
Capital Territory (NCT) government”.
Can we know in advance about the condition & intensity of rains? Chennai sources stated that in an effort that could go some way in preparing the people for any imminent threat arising out of the monsoon rains, the State Revenue Department has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Centre for Coastal Research, to know in advance about the condition and intensity of rains.
- Moon's mediation & Kim's commitment at summit satisfied Washington
- India complaints on Brutal killing of BSF Soldier by Pakistan troopers
- PM Narendra Modi catapults more projects in Varanasi
- Hong Kong based airline painted out error in Company's Name
- Big win for Women Rights activists in Muslim Community in india
- EC yet to come out with poll schedule for Telangana
- UP Govt Doctors to stage protest on October 1
- Is Kapu community is moving away from YCP?