Washington sources reported that Walmart removed shirts and other gear from its online marketplace bearing the phrase "Impeach 45" after supporters of US President Donald Trump lambasted the retail giant on social media. Meanwhile Walmart nixed the items yesterday after images of jerseys and baby gear with the anti-Trump slogan went viral on social media and at midday, the phrase Boycott Walmart was trending on Twitter.
A company spokesman said "These items were sold by third party sellers on our open marketplace, and were not offered directly by Walmart and we are removing these types of items pending review of our marketplace policies." Moreover the controversy highlights a challenge of doing business in a country increasingly polarized by politics, where supporters and critics of Trump have become more vocal in pressuring companies with boycott threats when they appear to be taking sides.
Meanwhile Neil Saunders, managing director of
consulting firm GlobalData Retail said Walmart's decision to remove the
anti-Trump merchandise made sense given the company's profile. Saunders said "A
lot of the stores are in locations that are probably fairly Republican and they
do need to take action because it could alienate a large portion of their
I salute Manohar Parrikar's efforts at work," PM Modi Sources from Panaji made a statement that Prime Minister Narendra Modi yesterday wished ailing Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar a speedy recovery and referred to him as the "architect of modern Goa." PM Modi said "I wish my best friend and well and hope for his quick recovery. He is indeed the architect of modern Goa. And I salute his efforts at work despite being ill," adding
- Muhurtam for Telangana CM KCR's Chandiyaagam is fixed
- Traffic diversions in Chennai for Republic Day Parade
- UNESCO names Rio De Janeiro as 2020 World's Capital Structure
- Sri Lanka wants to take back all Sri Lankan Tamil refugees in India
- Rythu Bandhu Scheme becomes part of National Agenda of action: Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan
- Maverick director RGV to come up with a creative poster goes Viral
- CM Chandrababu Naidu unveiled NTR statue
- Hyderabad Police booked 12 Websites for publishing defamatory article
- GHMC shelving its plan to revise property tax rates
- Again old rupee notes in Chennai!
- World's first genetically modified child!
- Edappadi checks food quality!
- Will DMK intervene in Mekedatu project?
- Prakash Raj to contest election as an Independent from Bengaluru-Central constituency
- Religion politics have not fared well in the South