Bengaluru sources added that in a first, India born geophysicist Paramesh Banerjee is among the four shortlisted to head the Institute of Geophysics, a top scientific organization of China's Earthquake Administration (CEA). Meanwhile the other three candidates are Chinese. Banerjee, currently technical director of the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) at Nanyang Technical University (NTU), told this correspondent in an email "Final result is not out yet, but will feel proud to be the first Indian in that position”.
Accordingly "Paramesh was one amongst the few who initiated GPS measurements in India and, during the 2004 Sumatra and Andaman earthquake, he was the one who proposed that the giant earthquakes could cause deformation at distances as far as 2,500 km away which could be captured by the GPS." Moreover he said that resources from Asian countries can be combined to create a Pan-Asian centre which will serve as a hub for technology transfer, seismological and geodetic data processing centre.
Reports added "It will also carry out advanced
geophysical projects like earthquake early warning system, seismic monitoring
network, airborne and other geophysical surveys for active fault mapping and
subsurface investigations." Moreover Banerjee, who has a commercial pilot
license, flew over Nepal after the 2015 earthquake to construct a 3-D digital
terrain map of the Himalayan faults. He said “His main objective is to build a
common platform that can help promote cooperation among Asian nations in
seismic research to better tackle earthquake related disasters”.
Sakshi Ratings in Election Week Indicate YSR Congress Victory Elections are done and dusted and the Voters' Verdict is sealed in Electronic Voting Machines which will be opened only on May 23rd. The Election Commission even banned the Exit Polls until May 19th which is when the last phase of General Elections will conclude. So, there is absolutely no clue about what is the verdict of the people.
- Good Ratings for Yatra Premiere Worries TDP
- Rapthadu YSRCP MLA as Irrigation Minister and DVR as Speaker?
- Chief Secretary Skips Chandrababu's Review Meetings
- Narendra Modi Saved Chandrababu in IT Grids Case?
- BJP Member says She will change constitution!
- Kamal's apology to buffaloes!
- Kamal Haasan trolled by director!
- 564 wheel chairs used across Nilgiri constituency to help differently-abled voters
- Volunteers encourage people to vote in Mandya
- Tamilnadu recorded 39.49% voting till 1 p.m
- Donald Trump vetoed a bill to end support for Saudi-led war in Yemen
- Tamilnadu records highest voter turnouts among 11 states
- Why IT conducts raids in TN against leaders in opposition to BJP?
- PM Modi calls All Youngsters to polling booths to strengthen democracy
- Tamilnadu interiors to experience heavy rain in next 24 hours