Bengaluru sources added that in a first, India born geophysicist Paramesh Banerjee is among the four shortlisted to head the Institute of Geophysics, a top scientific organization of China's Earthquake Administration (CEA). Meanwhile the other three candidates are Chinese. Banerjee, currently technical director of the Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) at Nanyang Technical University (NTU), told this correspondent in an email "Final result is not out yet, but will feel proud to be the first Indian in that position”.
Accordingly "Paramesh was one amongst the few who initiated GPS measurements in India and, during the 2004 Sumatra and Andaman earthquake, he was the one who proposed that the giant earthquakes could cause deformation at distances as far as 2,500 km away which could be captured by the GPS." Moreover he said that resources from Asian countries can be combined to create a Pan-Asian centre which will serve as a hub for technology transfer, seismological and geodetic data processing centre.
Reports added "It will also carry out advanced
geophysical projects like earthquake early warning system, seismic monitoring
network, airborne and other geophysical surveys for active fault mapping and
subsurface investigations." Moreover Banerjee, who has a commercial pilot
license, flew over Nepal after the 2015 earthquake to construct a 3-D digital
terrain map of the Himalayan faults. He said “His main objective is to build a
common platform that can help promote cooperation among Asian nations in
seismic research to better tackle earthquake related disasters”.
Kodanadu estate case investigation in peaks! The investigation in the Kodanadu estate death case has reached a intense point, as the two main accused Manoj and Sayan were arrested yesterday. The sensational Kodanadu estate case has turned out to be the most talked about issue in Tamilnadu politics with new shocking updates unraveling the mystery.
- UP minister's tells people to burn politicians!
- Supreme Court notice to central govt!
- A Judge partially blocked a set of Trump administration rules
- Follow Indian Traditions Leave Western Lifestyles: Venkaiah Naidu
- Unresolved differences between Kanchi Seer and Mahatma Gandhi continues
- Cockpit Voice recorder of Lion Air Jet found
- Modi said BJP worker is driven by National Interest & not by any self-interest
- KCR plans that will last generations
- RBI tokenizes transactions made through Debit, Credit & Prepaid Cards in India
- TNSTC announced it will operate an additional 14,263 services for Pongal
- Modi calls DMK as the biggest enemy!
- Terrorists killed in early morning encounter!
- Dinakaran Vs Anbazhagan catches fire!
- Tehelka editor reveals shocker!
- Ivanka Trump, Nikki Haley for US candidates to World Bank President's Post