According to Nobel laureate and noted economist Amartya Sen, India spends just a little over 1% of its GDP on healthcare and this is leading the country into "a comprehensive healthcare crisis", to who has called for greater allocation on healthcare in India and highlighted what he calls "three general failures" in the country's healthcare segment.
Sen said "The fact that India allocates only a little over 1% of its gross domestic product on public healthcare contrasts sharply, for example, with nearly three times as much by China and they reaps as they sow, and cannot expect to get what other countries achieve by allocating much more resources as a proportion of their respective levels of the gross national product to healthcare". Moreover Sen has extensively written on welfare economics and social justice and in the given book, he also highlights the plight of patients suffering at the hands of "private caregivers".
Furthermore he says private clinics "will not budge" without
"the promise of payment". Meanwhile when noting that even though some
public services are offered freely, and Sen highlights that many critically
important services are denied unless the patient can cough up demanded sums,
which can be "un-affordable" for many underprivileged Indians.
Will Sharmila Jagan contest from Hyderabad? Accordingly Sharmila, who had earlier headed the Telangana unit of YCP, is nowhere in the scene now in the Telangana polls. Meanwhile Jagan has announced that YCP would stay away from the Telangana elections, the move said to have irked Sharmila and her followers in the party.
- Sonia Gandhi to address a Public Meeting in Telangana on November 23
- Today is the Last day for filing nominations for Telangana Assembly Elections
- Superstar warns against ticket rates!
- Sasikala to come out on parole?
- Chief Minister Visit canceled!
- Schools, Colleges announced Holiday
- Will H1-B Visa Holders to split Families?
- DeepVeer to hosts 2 Wedding Receptions
- Death toll in Tamilnadu due to Cyclone Gaja rose to 33
- NASA's Kepler space telescope to disconnect communication with Earth
- Mike Hussey feels Hardik Pandya's absence is greatest disappointment
- Anna University Exams postponed to December 13, 14 due to Cyclone Gaja
- Mobile app to track air pollution developed by Delhi students
- PM Narendra Modi campaigned at Chhattisgarh
- Congress privilege motion against Modi!