In a first of its kind step, WhatsApp had published advertisements on Indian newspapers on July 6, in an attempt to avoid spreading of fake news, which in recent times has even lead to bad consequences like killings and mob lynching. India is the biggest market for WhatsApp, with more than 200 million users, and posts the spread of several fake and misleading messages via WhatsApp, the messaging platform owned by Facebook; there were deaths in the country, Hence the company decided to immediately get into the act before the reputation of the firm gets damaged, with such a media post.
The ad read, Together we can fight false information" and the series of posts will soon be there on regional language newspapers as well. The ad insists users to check any information before spreading it by forwarding, and as said by WhatsApp, the company has started an education campaign in India, to detect fake news and rumors.
After beginning with ads in English and Hindi papers, ads will be posted in dailies circulated in states like Maharashtra, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh soon. WhatsApp is also modifying its app to make sure user is able to detect fake messages or news, by a feature that shows if it’s just a forward message or a created one.
PM Modi felicitated winning teams of Singapore-India Hackathon Singapore sources reported that Prime Minister Narendra Modi today felicitated the six winning teams, including three from India, of the first India-Singapore Hackathon, a platform for the youth of the two countries to harness and showcase their innovations. Accordingly the top six teams, three each from India and Singapore, participated in a 36 hour Hackathon Grande Finale in Singapore.
- Social Activist Trupti Desai urged PM ensuring security for her visit to Sabarimala Temple
- Karunanidhi's Life Size Statue to be unveiled on December 16
- . Indian-American to replace Justice Brett Kavanaugh on DC Circuit Court of Appeals
- Gaja impacts throughout the state!
- Smriti Trolls DeepVeer!
- 13 year old dies in boxing contest!
- TN govt ready to face Gaja!
- Automated baggage check-in facility introduced for passengers in Bengaluru Airport
- Railway suspects passengers for missing Bed sheets & Towels in A/c Coaches
- KCR has No Loans, No Cars in his name
- Pawan Kalyans shocking comments on BJP
- Multi pronged strategy adopted by Telangana Cops to prevent Maoists threat
- Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi & Anil Ambani in Rafael Deal
- Cyclone Gaja expected with more anticipation in Chennai
- Deepika-Ranveer MARRIED in Italy