Berlin sources reported that German Chancellor Angela Merkel had warned the US of counter-measures if it imposed punitive tariffs on European cars, saying the move would only create "losers and cause retaliation". Merkel at a news conference said "We have regarding trade a very, very serious situation in the world and she wants to clearly state this".
She added "We don't want these tariffs, we believe that we will damage each other, not only that we in the EU will be harmed but that these can have a far broader impact," further adding they would pose "a real danger for the prosperity of many in the world." Meanwhile Merkel's comments came days before European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker is due to meet US President Donald Trump to discuss ways to prevent the punitive tariffs and these (talks) are our preferred course of action".
Presently the Trump administration is weighing
import duties of 20% to 25% on European automotive products on national
security grounds. Moreover the threat puts more than $50 billion worth of
European imports at risk and has created panic in Europe's largest economy. Furthermore
Trans-Atlantic duties on cars have been unchanged for decades and the US
charges 2.5% on passenger car imports and 25% on pickup trucks and vans.
History Maker: Kotii Reddy Saripalli - Founder of Kotii group of ventures Dr. Kotii Reddy Saripalli is a prominent Indian Businessman and is the founder of Kotii Group of Ventures, Hyderabad. He comes from a middle-class family and he was selected by Microsoft as Project Head even though he never completed a college degree.
- Gold prices skyrocket!
- Saudi comes to Pak support!
- Mastermind of Pulwama attack dead!
- Kamal's takes a dig at Stalin!
- YS Jagan needs to be reminded charity begins at home
- Ex-PM highlights rural indebtedness, urban chaos
- PMK will support AIADMK- BJP front in Tamilnadu in general elections
- French researchers found 5.8 million Indane customer records
- Will Sania Mirza be removed as brand ambassador of Telangana ?
- Freedom we have is very expensive due to CRPF Employees
- Why India raised Pulwama attack issue at Munich Conference?
- RBI found large divergence in the books of Yes Bank
- Tamilisai welcomes Kamal speech!
- Kiran Bedi Vs Narayanasamy intensifies!
- Kaduvetti Guru's mother against Anbumani!