Thiruvananthapuram sources stated that as per report Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) will be honored by the UN with the ‘Champion of Earth Prize’ for the year 2018, after having successfully implemented the use of solar energy rendering it the world’s only airport run on solar power. Meanwhile this comes just three years after the airport took on a gargantuan task in October 2015 to power the airport fully and exclusively through solar energy.
Accordingly this prize is considered the UN’s highest environmental honor. Moreover an official statement by the UN’s Global Chief of Environment and Executive Director of UNEP, Erik Solheim, to the airport Managing Director V J Kurian read, “This is the United Nation’s highest environmental accolade and reflects your leadership in the use of sustainable energy." Furthermore after stating, “As the world’s first fully solar-powered airport, you set an ambitious example that we hope many others will follow. Hence the award will be presented at a gala ceremony on the sidelines of the General Assembly in New York on September 26, 2018.”
Recently a team from the UN led by Solheim himself had previously visited
the Kochi airport to learn more about its solar initiatives and had met
authorities as well as Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. Moreover the idea of a
solar powered airport came from managing director V J Kurian.
AK Sikri declines joining commonwealth tribunal! Justice AK Sikri has rejected the central government position at the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal (CSAT). CBI director Alok Verma was ousted from his post last week, with AK Sikri being an important member of the vigilance committee that was headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and this was the committee that decided to remove
- Kodanadu estate case investigation in peaks!
- UP minister's tells people to burn politicians!
- Supreme Court notice to central govt!
- A Judge partially blocked a set of Trump administration rules
- Follow Indian Traditions Leave Western Lifestyles: Venkaiah Naidu
- Unresolved differences between Kanchi Seer and Mahatma Gandhi continues
- Cockpit Voice recorder of Lion Air Jet found
- Modi said BJP worker is driven by National Interest & not by any self-interest
- KCR plans that will last generations
- RBI tokenizes transactions made through Debit, Credit & Prepaid Cards in India
- TNSTC announced it will operate an additional 14,263 services for Pongal
- Modi calls DMK as the biggest enemy!
- Terrorists killed in early morning encounter!
- Dinakaran Vs Anbazhagan catches fire!
- Tehelka editor reveals shocker!