Accordingly the United States Geological Survey said the powerful quake, whose epicenter was at a depth of seven kilometers (four miles), hit at 6:47 am local time (2247 GMT Saturday). As per report it struck 50 km (30 miles) northeast of the island's main city Mataram. Meanwhile Lombok in southeastern Indonesia is a popular tourist destination, and lies around 100 km east of the resort island of Bali.
Moreover Indonesia's geophysics and meteorology agency said at least 11 aftershocks were recorded after the 6.4-magnitude earthquake. Agency spokesman Hary Tirto Djatmiko said in a statement "So far we have not received any report on damages". He added No tsunami alert was issued. People living near the epicenter felt a strong jolt. Zulkifli, a resident of North Lombok, close to the epicenter said "The earthquake was very strong and everybody in his house panicked, we all ran outside and all his neighbors also ran outside and the electricity was suddenly cut off”.
Furthermore Indonesia, an archipelago of thousands
of islands, sits on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, a seismic activity
hotspot. Moreover it is frequently hit by quakes, most of them harmless.
However, the region remains acutely alert to tremors that might trigger
tsunamis. Earlier in 2004, a tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.3 undersea
earthquake off the coast of Sumatra, in western Indonesia, killed 220,000
people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in
Will JanaSena ally with TDP or get alone? Presently it looks like AP Chief Minister and Telugu Desam Party Chief N. Chandrababu Naidu has again took U-Turn and developed a soft corner on the party's former ally, Jana Sena Party. Meanwhile soon after the TDP broke off its ties with the BJP, the Telugu Desam Party refrained from making any criticism of Pawan Kalyan or Jana Sena despite a slew of attacks from the Jana Sena leaders and supporters.
- Tehelka Mathews makes another accusation on Jayalalitha's mysterious death!
- Tamilisai opens up on DMK alliance!
- Priyanka Gandhi enters active politics!
- Alone time given Me the strength to handle life: PM Modi
- Indian Movie nominated for Oscars
- Will Prabhas get BJP MLA ticket for 2019 Elections?
- APSRTC Employees Union calls for indefinite statewide strike from February 6
- Hyderabad HC issued notices to makers of 'Lakshmi's NTR'
- Iconic Bikini Climber dies on Mountain
- Toyota makes Joint Venture with Panasonic
- India's Air Passenger Traffic hikes
- India facing a rising tide of people unwilling to be vaccinated
- Chinese vendors flooded both online & offline channels for Smartphone selling
- TDP is seemingly attempting to tap into Kapu vote bank
- Former VHP leader's sensational remark on Modi!