Accordingly the United States Geological Survey said the powerful quake, whose epicenter was at a depth of seven kilometers (four miles), hit at 6:47 am local time (2247 GMT Saturday). As per report it struck 50 km (30 miles) northeast of the island's main city Mataram. Meanwhile Lombok in southeastern Indonesia is a popular tourist destination, and lies around 100 km east of the resort island of Bali.
Moreover Indonesia's geophysics and meteorology agency said at least 11 aftershocks were recorded after the 6.4-magnitude earthquake. Agency spokesman Hary Tirto Djatmiko said in a statement "So far we have not received any report on damages". He added No tsunami alert was issued. People living near the epicenter felt a strong jolt. Zulkifli, a resident of North Lombok, close to the epicenter said "The earthquake was very strong and everybody in his house panicked, we all ran outside and all his neighbors also ran outside and the electricity was suddenly cut off”.
Furthermore Indonesia, an archipelago of thousands
of islands, sits on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, a seismic activity
hotspot. Moreover it is frequently hit by quakes, most of them harmless.
However, the region remains acutely alert to tremors that might trigger
tsunamis. Earlier in 2004, a tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.3 undersea
earthquake off the coast of Sumatra, in western Indonesia, killed 220,000
people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in
Sehwag challenges Kohli can't do it! Former Indian swashbuckling opening batsman Virender Sehwag has challenged that though Indian Skipper, run machine Virat Kohli has been making new records and breaking existing records, smashing most of the records of Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar, he won't be able to overcome several records. Kolhi has been on a rampage as he has been breaking records one after the other with every match and he is literally unstoppable.
- Ice seller tries to commit suicide!
- Rajinikanth's sudden press meet!
- Gaja storm takes extreme speed!
- Pawan Failed to STOP
- Rajinikanth is against PM Narendra Modi
- Wealthy Indian tech arrested for assaulting escort
- Cops shot the guy who killed the Indian student
- Is Chandrababu Naidu & DGPs involved in knife attack on YS Jagan?
- Suzuki Burgman Street scooters ready for launch
- Soorasamharam Event held in a spiritual way at Tiruchendur
- Lives of tribals mean nothing to Chandrababu today: Pawan
- Did Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan brought KCR closer to BJP?
- Cyclonic storm Gaja to bring heavy Rainfall Coupled with Gale Wind
- Puducherry CM slammed KCR
- Why Prabhas not showing interest in his marriage?