New Delhi sources stated that there is good news for taxpayers as the deadline to file income tax returns (ITR) has been extended by a month. Recently the finance ministry in a tweet announced the extension of ITR filling deadline by a month to August 31, 2018. Meanwhile the tweet says "Upon consideration of the matter, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) extends the ‘Due Date’ for filing of Income Tax Returns from 31st July, 2018 to 31st August, 2018 in respect of the said categories of taxpayers."
Furthermore until last assessment year (AY) there was no penalty for filing belated income tax returns and however, this penalty is applicable from AY 2018-19. Further a new section 234F was inserted by the government in the Income Tax Act. Moreover as per this section, an individual would have to pay a fee of up to Rs 10,000 for filing income tax return after the due dates specified in section 139(1) of the Act.
Reports added tax experts say that as per the
amendments made in the Finance Act 2017, taxpayers are liable to pay a fee of
Rs 5,000, if their tax return for the financial year 2017-18 is filed after the
return filing deadline but before December 31, 2018. The fee payable will
increase to Rs 10,000, if the tax return is filed on or after January 1, 2019
and moreover if the total income of the taxpayer is less than Rs 5,00,000, the
fee amount shall not exceed Rs 1,000.
Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project? Chennai sources reported that the Madras high court has directed the state government not to precipitate any problem, pursuant to the proposed acquisition of land for the multi crore Chennai-Salem green corridor project. Accordingly Sivagnanasambandan, counsel appearing for the petitioner, submitted that four persons have been arrested in Cheyyar and the same has been reported in newspapers.
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!
- Krishnaswamy turns against Karunas!
- Daye suppression isn't the end!
- HD Kumaraswamy meets 3,000 people every week during 'Janata Darshan'
- Muslims across 31 districts of Telangana must get representation in 2018 Elections
- TN Dr. Ambedkar Law University to remove unqualified teaching staff & other staff
- Will Tamilnadu Govt make Helmet compulsory?
- Cyclone Alert over west-central Bay of Bengal: IMD
- Why BJP spoiled alliance between TDP and TRS?
- Pakistan ready to discuss terrorism, Imran Khan pens PM Modi
- Bilateral dialogue between Washington & Pyongyang stalled on how to move denuclearization process
- Signing up for the credit line to receive Instant access on Flipkart
- Train Services stopped at Kerala, Bengaluru & Coastal Karnataka resumes
- Mis-happening at Jet Airways focus Mumbai to Jaipur