Kalaignar M Karunanidhi was the first chief minister who fought and won the right to hoist the tricolor on national importance day Independence Day, and yesterday, after his death has been wrapped in the tricolor in his last journey to his memorial near Anna memorial at Marina. Kalaignar Karunanidhi had been the chief minister of Tamilnadu for five terms, and years ago, it was a practice for governors to hoist national flag on eve of Independence Day and republic day.
It was Kalaignar M Karunanidhi who had appealed for a change in this practice demanding hoisting of tricolor on Independence Day by state chief ministers and on republic day by governors. He had written a letter to the then prime minister Smt. Indira Gandhi, penning his demand, and after receiving the approval, became the first chief minister in the country to hoist the national flag on August 15, 1974.
Following his death yesterday,
Karunanidhi has received government honors and has been fittingly wrapped in
the tricolors during his final journey, and it has been a perfect way to honor
the person who earned the right for chief ministers to hoist national flag on Independence
Is Anushka Shetty ready to marry a Business Tycoon? According to sources "Wedding bells for Anushka Shetty", is the most discussed topic among the buffs since a long time. Meanwhile every other day we have been hearing reports of Anushka’s marriage and although, several rumors are surfacing that there is a problem with her horoscope and her family members are busy in search Mr. Perfect for her.
- Why Arogyasri Services comes to a halt in AP Hospital from Monday?
- Has Money played major role in Telangana Elections?
- KCRs risky decisions in times are fruitful
- Ranil Wickremesinghe takes oath as Sri Lanka's PM on Sunday
- Why Anushka Shetty missing away from limelight?
- IndiGo Flight from Mumbai to Lucknow grounded due to Bomb Threat
- IFF kick-started in Chennai
- Nepal Govt banned usage of Indian Currency Notes
- Banks be closed for 5 Days due to Merger
- Has Harish Rao's post given by TRS Party Supreme KCR?
- TRS party considering giving a representation to EC regarding symbol issues
- 13 Miners trapped in Coal pit yet to be rescued
- Donald Trump's son-in-law short listed for President's next chief of staff
- Rehana Fathima gets a bail and ban!
- BJP to focus on caste based votes!