The national Green Tribunal has ordered the analysis of Sterlite plant in Thoothukudi by the retired high court judge Chandru. There were widespread protests against the functioning of Sterlite copper plant run by Vedanta group in Thoothukudi, and demanding the permanent closure of the plant which had hazardous chemical leaks, leading to environmental pollution as well as health hazards for people of the locality, and the protests had turned violent on May 22, as the cops had indulged in a shootout, killing more than 13 people.
Following this unexpected killing and violent turn to the peaceful protest, on May 28, the Tamilnadu government had ordered the permanent closure and sealing of the Sterlite plant in Thoothukudi. However, Sterlite had made an appeal against the Tamilnadu government order in the national green tribunal.
The TN government had submitted a
detailed report on the environmental impacts and the health impacts caused by
Sterlite and the Pollution control board had also submitted its analysis
report based on its inspection on 16 and 17 August to the tribunal.
Following this, the green tribunal has ordered former high court judge Chandru
to inspect Sterlite plant and submit a report, and that the court should decide
based on the reports.
Anna University Exams postponed to December 13, 14 due to Cyclone Gaja Recently Anna University has announced that theory examinations scheduled for Friday will now be conducted on December 13. As per report the University has also postponed examinations scheduled for November 17 to December 14 and the examinations have been rescheduled on account of Cyclone Gaja, which hit the coastal areas in Tamilnadu on Friday.
- Mobile app to track air pollution developed by Delhi students
- PM Narendra Modi campaigned at Chhattisgarh
- Congress privilege motion against Modi!
- Yogi Adityanath's hug challenge!
- Hyderabad Metro recording footfall of 80,000-85,000 passengers per day
- Controversial Ad of Kalyan Jewelry removed
- Donald Trump unlikely to get boot from Twitter even after threatening Iran
- Pack your Condoms too if you are going on a Tour of France - Here's Why...
- US Officials apologize to Sikh Minister as they forced to remove his Turban
- Two-Wheeler owners to get incentives?
- Leaders can take a lesson or two to watch KTR & Pawan words in public
- Iraqi Airways suspend 2 pilots who fought for food tray
- AP Govt taken a sensational decision restricting CBI's entry into AP
- Mahindra & Mahindra rolled out electric 3 wheeler auto rickshaw in Bengaluru
- Sabarimala Temple Police Officers instructed to follow new Dress Code