Chennai sources stated that Day after Kerala accused Tamilnadu’s sudden release of water from the Mullaperiyar dam as one of the reasons for the devastating floods in the state, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi Palanisamy on Friday termed the accusation “false and baseless”. Palaniswamy told media “Kerala's accusations towards Tamilnadu are false and baseless and if you say, excess water was discharged from one dam (Mullaperiyar) then how did water reach all parts of Kerala? The excess discharge of water from 80 dams caused the flood in Kerala”.
Meanwhile the Pinarayi Vijayan government had told the Supreme Court that as the water level breached 137 feet mark at Mullaperiyar Dam, authorities in Kerala decided to evacuate people who lived in the dams downstream. Accordingly the affidavit filed by the Chief Secretary stated that out of the total population of about 3.48 crore, more than 54 lakh or one sixth of Kerala’s population had been directly affected by the floods.
Further the affidavit further said that in the wake of prior alerts by its
engineers, Kerala's Water Resources Secretary had written to her counterpart in
Tamilnadu and the Chairman of the Supervisory Committee on Mullaperiyar dam
requesting controlled release of water without waiting for the water level in
the reservoir to reach its full level.
Will TN people join Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan for nominating PM Modi for Nobel Peace Prize? Chennai sources stated that day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the ambitious Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) Ayushman Bharat health insurance scheme, BJP State president Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan has said she has nominated the PM for the Nobel Peace Prize and appealed to the people to join her.
- Incessant rain triggered flash floods & landslides in Northern India
- MD, New VP of India Operations appointed by FB
- Bengaluru to receive heavy rain this week
- Will Harish get more majority to KCR in the ensuing elections?
- TPCC Working President confident SB Congress winning in Telangana
- Mother of one of 7 convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case met TN Governor
- Maoist killers identified!
- Telangana Governor follows new way in saving Fuel