According to sources most school across Kerala reopened on Wednesday after a 10 day Onam break which coincided with the worst floods in a century that ravaged the state, turning many schools into refugee centres. Meanwhile hundreds of school students, many of whom were languishing in relief camps until the other day, returned to their classes for an emotional reunion with fellow students and teachers and in some cases to damaged school buildings.
Furthermore since August 9, Kerala witnessed unprecedented floods that left 1.4 million in over 3,000 relief camps, most of which were schools. Meanwhile the Education Minister C. Raveendranath, a former college professor, told the media on Wednesday that the floods had affected 650 schools and barring 211, all others had reopened. The Minister said "Today there will be no classes. Instead it will be more of an emotional counseling as a good number of these young minds have suffered on account of the rains and floods”.
Moreover many schools in Kuttanadu area in
Alappuzha district remained closed as a massive cleaning operation was on and however
in Idukki, one of the worst affected places, all the 458 schools reopened. An education
department official said "One school functioned from a nearby church hall.
It was only last evening that many of the schools were cleaned up". Further
in Kozhikode, there were relief camps in 160 schools and all of them are functioning.
136 people died after a ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, Tanzania Accordingly many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight. As per report the MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara Island on its way from Bugorora. Meanwhile it is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
- Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy called for a Revolt against BJP
- Balapur Laddu sets a new Record as it fetches Rs.16.6 Lakhs in Auction!
- TN Govt opened bookings for the online sale of imported sand at Thoothukudi port
- PM Narendra Modi catapulted many projects in Odisha & Chhattisgarh
- Is Chandrababu Naidu elder than PM Modi in politics?
- Will Chandrababu Naidu attend Court in Babli Case?
- India moving towards 5G: PM Modi
- "Facebook Dating" made available within social networking company's mobile app
- First Indian state to introduce Smart e-Public Distribution System (e-PDS)
- Pawan Kalyan to have 'Gelupu Rotte' to win upcoming general elections in AP
- Ajay Maken left for treatment abroad for his orthopedic ailment
- Trump participates in UNGA events & bilateral meetings from September 24-27
- Will Madras HC hear petitions challenging land acquisition in Chennai-Salem Project?
- BJP leader gets trolled!
- Kausalya consoles Amrutha Varshini!