As Ganesh Charturthi falls at the end of the monsoon season, villagers would gather bits of clay that had washed up around their rivers. They would worship this clay in their homes (as a celebration of the fertility of the Earth), and then return the clay to the river. As the practice evolved, the clay was molded into shapes of idols and, of course, Lord Ganesha.
The modern explanation, however, has more political roots and can be traced to Bal Gangadhar “Lokmanya” Tilak one of the early leaders of the Indian Independence Movement. Tilak, a staunch Hindu nationalist, popularized Ganesh Chaturthi as a public holiday associating the “removal of obstacles” with the removal of the British Raj.
Sadly, the original (small) natural clay idols have
been eclipsed with fancy plaster of paris and plastic idols which are ecologically toxic on several levels.
So far, 4 states (Tamilnadu, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Goa) have banned
immersion of plaster of paris idols in waters. Religiously speaking, the
immersion (Visarjan) is a send
off of Ganesha to Kailash. On a philosophical level, it can be said that we give a shape to “God”
that which is infinite and formless through the Earth’s clay and mud, invite
and worship this form in our home, and then release this image back into the
water to become formless once again.
Migrants figures shown a negative growth of 11.6% from Kerala Accordingly a new study says factors like the declining population in the 19-25 age groups and stagnant wages in the Gulf countries could be responsible for migration from Kerala declining 11% between 2013 and 2018. S. Irudayarajan, who led the Kerala Migration Survey (KMS) 2018 told reporters in Thiruvananthapuram
- Uber's Food delivery launched Insurance Program in partnership with Tata AIG
- Investigation about Sewing Needle hidden in Strawberries
- Karnataka Govt reduced state taxes on petrol & diesel
- Is YS Jagan caught in a trap?
- Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh testifies hearing before Senate Judiciary Committee
- Major Fire Accident at Kanya Cinema Theater, Visakhapatnam
- T Rajendar coming to Thiruvarur?
- Auto driver attacked for questioning BJP leader on Petrol price hike!
- Yet again Petrol Price goes up...
- Case against Thirumurugan Gandhi dismissed!
- H Raja's words will help fascism!
- H Raja receives High court order!
- Babies born yesterday on PM Modi's birthday gifted gold rings at Chennai
- TN couple received Petrol as Marriage Gift!!!
- Ramdev will not campaign for BJP in 2019 elections