As Ganesh Charturthi falls at the end of the monsoon season, villagers would gather bits of clay that had washed up around their rivers. They would worship this clay in their homes (as a celebration of the fertility of the Earth), and then return the clay to the river. As the practice evolved, the clay was molded into shapes of idols and, of course, Lord Ganesha.
The modern explanation, however, has more political roots and can be traced to Bal Gangadhar “Lokmanya” Tilak one of the early leaders of the Indian Independence Movement. Tilak, a staunch Hindu nationalist, popularized Ganesh Chaturthi as a public holiday associating the “removal of obstacles” with the removal of the British Raj.
Sadly, the original (small) natural clay idols have
been eclipsed with fancy plaster of paris and plastic idols which are ecologically toxic on several levels.
So far, 4 states (Tamilnadu, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Goa) have banned
immersion of plaster of paris idols in waters. Religiously speaking, the
immersion (Visarjan) is a send
off of Ganesha to Kailash. On a philosophical level, it can be said that we give a shape to “God”
that which is infinite and formless through the Earth’s clay and mud, invite
and worship this form in our home, and then release this image back into the
water to become formless once again.
Muslims in Telangana state upset seeing attitude of political parties Hyderabad sources reported that no Muslim woman candidate has won the Assembly elections after 1957. Meanwhile only two Muslim woman candidates Shajahan Begum and Masooma Begum were elected from Shadnagar and Pathergatti constituencies. Accordingly Muslims in Telangana state are upset over the attitude of political parties in fielding Muslim candidates considering their population.
- A new memoir titled "Becoming" by Michelle Obama out
- Bengaluru likely to receive rainfall on November 16-17 & 22-23
- Swiggy plans to deploy Women as delivery personnel across India
- Has AP government misused Tirumala Tirupathi temple funds?
- Sexual abuser arrested finally!
- Infosys founder supports Modi!
- Downfall of Rajapakse govt!
- Gaja reaches Chennai!
- SC to hear 49 Review Petitions in Sabarimala Temple case
- PM Narendra Modi is in Singapore for East Asia Summit
- Melania Trump explicitly Donald Trump to oust Mira Ricardel
- Will traffic be ensured safely during rallies & processions?
- Sonali Bandre thanked her Hubby on their wedding day
- Sehwag challenges Kohli can't do it!
- Ice seller tries to commit suicide!