Once Parashuraam Jee came to Kailaash Parvat to visit Shiv Jee. Shiv Jee was sleeping so Ganesh Jee stopped him from going inside. A fight between them ensued at this. Ganesh Jee caught him with his trunk and hit him on the ground. This left him unconscious for some time. When he came into senses he threw his Pharasaa (axe) at Ganesh Jee. Ganesh Jee immediately recognized it as his father's weapon (his father gave it to Parashuraam), and received it with all his humility on his one tusk. This broke his one tusk and left with one tusk only.
That is why he is also called as Ekdant or Ekdanshtra means who has only one tusk. There is another story about his one tusk. Meanwhile a different legend narrates that when Ganesh Jee was asked to write down the epic of Mahabhaarat, dictated to him by its author, sage Vyaas, taking into note the enormity and significance of the task, he realized the inadequacy of any ordinary 'pen' to undertake the task. So he broke one of his own tusks and made a pen out of it. The lesson offered here is that no sacrifice is big enough in the pursuit of knowledge.
In the same reference, it is also said that as he
was writing Mahabharata, his pen broke, and he broke his one tusk to continue
writing. An ancient Sanskrit drama titled "Shishupaal Vadh", presents
a different version. Here it is mentioned that Ganesh Jee was deprived of his
tusk by the arrogant Raavan, who removed it forcefully in order to make ivory
earrings for the beautiful women of Lanka.
Schools, Colleges announced Holiday Holiday has been announced for schools and colleges within Nagapattinam, and Pudukottai districts. The Gaja cyclone formed in the Bay of Bengal has turned the lives of delta area people upside down, and though it has been two days since the cyclone had subsided, people living in delta areas have been facing a tough time, without food, water, and all other basic needs.
- Will H1-B Visa Holders to split Families?
- DeepVeer to hosts 2 Wedding Receptions
- Death toll in Tamilnadu due to Cyclone Gaja rose to 33
- NASA's Kepler space telescope to disconnect communication with Earth
- Mike Hussey feels Hardik Pandya's absence is greatest disappointment
- Anna University Exams postponed to December 13, 14 due to Cyclone Gaja
- Mobile app to track air pollution developed by Delhi students
- PM Narendra Modi campaigned at Chhattisgarh
- Congress privilege motion against Modi!
- Yogi Adityanath's hug challenge!
- Hyderabad Metro recording footfall of 80,000-85,000 passengers per day
- Controversial Ad of Kalyan Jewelry removed
- Donald Trump unlikely to get boot from Twitter even after threatening Iran
- Pack your Condoms too if you are going on a Tour of France - Here's Why...
- US Officials apologize to Sikh Minister as they forced to remove his Turban