Washington sources reported that the Trump administration is seeking to initiate steps against social media companies for allegedly stifling free exchange of ideas and hurting competition. Meanwhile the Department of Justice said US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has convened a meeting of the state attorney general’s in this regard.
The department's spokesman Devin O'Malley said "The attorney general has convened a meeting with a number of state attorneys general this month to discuss a growing concern that these companies may be hurting competition and intentionally stifling the free exchange of ideas on their platforms". Furthermore the Justice Department has listened to the senate intelligence committee hearing on social media.
Reports added that social media platforms find
themselves caught between some policy makers arguing that they have a moral and
legal obligation to remove legal, but offensive, content, and others who are
calling for these companies to be punished for censoring some of this extreme
political speech, ITIF vice president Daniel Castro claimed. Moreover he said
social media platforms have the right to determine what type of legal speeches
they will permit on their platforms "It is inappropriate for the federal
government to use the threat of law enforcement to limit companies from
exercising this right.
Bengaluru to receive heavy rain this week Accordingly more misery is in store for Bengaluru as both the Indian Meteorological Department and the Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre has predicted moderate to heavy rainfall across the city throughout this week. Meanwhile the KSNDMC has alerted the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike, the city’s civic body, to ensure it is well prepared for the rains.
- Will Harish get more majority to KCR in the ensuing elections?
- TPCC Working President confident SB Congress winning in Telangana
- Mother of one of 7 convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case met TN Governor
- Maoist killers identified!
- Telangana Governor follows new way in saving Fuel
- Case against Tamilisai soon!
- Hyderabad Metro Rail carries 85,000 Passengers daily
- Baba on moon? Truth or fake?
- Arputhammal gives petition to Governor!
- Rajinikanth to target November or December!
- TN targeted by Maoists?
- Gujarat based Pharma company Sterling Biotech involved in 5000 Crore Bank fraud
- DoT approached SC for Spectrum Dues
- Donald Trump has hit 12% of total US imports by 2018
- Karnataka Govt plans to set up free Wi-Fi in 198 wards