Canberra sources stated that the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) warned on Friday that the koala population in Australia's of New South Wales (NSW) state may face extinction by 2050 if the current rate of tree felling is maintained. Meanwhile the WWF said in a new report that since the repeal of the NSW Native Vegetation Act in August 2017, the forest clearing rate has tripled to a total of 20,258 acres in the north of the state.
Furthermore according to the WWF, this may have led to the destruction of the habitat of 247 native species, including the koala, an iconic native Australian marsupial that has been designated as vulnerable to extinction under commonwealth and state law. WWF-Australia conservationist Stuart Blanch in a statement "WWF-Australia estimates there are likely less than 20,000 koalas left in NSW and at the current rate, they are on track to be extinct in the state by as early as 2050”.
Conservation Council CEO Kate Smolski said "The NSW government is
responsible opening the flood gates to the destruction of koala forests and
woodlands on a scale we have not seen for more than 20 years". Previously last
year, the WWF warned that the felling of trees reduced by 53 and 26% respectively
the koala population in the eastern states of Queensland and NSW.
Mickey Mouse character turned 90 on Sunday Accordingly Iconic cartoon character Mickey Mouse turned 90 on Sunday, and his birthday is being celebrated around the world, including in India. Meanwhile Mickey Mouse made his first appearance in Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928, and has ruled hearts since then. Furthermore he was born out of necessity when Walt Disney discovered he had lost the rights to his previous character
- More Rain anticipated in Tamilnadu from November 19
- Cyclone Gaja death toll in TN rose from 33 to 45
- Sirisena dissolved parliament, announced snap polls on January 5, 2019
- Can KCR win Elections by doing Yagams & Homams alone?
- Will Sharmila Jagan contest from Hyderabad?
- Sonia Gandhi to address a Public Meeting in Telangana on November 23
- Today is the Last day for filing nominations for Telangana Assembly Elections
- Superstar warns against ticket rates!
- Sasikala to come out on parole?
- Chief Minister Visit canceled!
- Schools, Colleges announced Holiday
- Will H1-B Visa Holders to split Families?
- DeepVeer to hosts 2 Wedding Receptions
- Death toll in Tamilnadu due to Cyclone Gaja rose to 33
- NASA's Kepler space telescope to disconnect communication with Earth