Chennai sources stated that the Tamilnadu Cabinet recommended to Governor Banwarilal Purohit to release all the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case by invoking his powers under Art 161 of the Constitution. Meanwhile a reporter asked minister Jayakumar if it was alright to release the convicts involved in the brutal killing of an ex-PM. “All that is past and the CBI probe and investigation is past. What is present? The Tamil people want their release”, shot back the minister.
Reports added the seven convicts Murugan alias Sriharan, Nalini Sriharan, Santhan, A.G. Perarivalan, Jayakumar, Ravichandran, Robert Payas have been in jail for the last 27 years amid several mercy petitions, court hearings, political rallies and human rights campaigns for their release. Accordingly Perarivalan’s mother Arputhammal, who has been fighting relentlessly through the years for his release, choked with emotion while expressing gratitude to the government as she faced the TV cameras soon after meeting CM Palaniswami with a bouquet of flowers.
Furthermore the initiative was inspired by the Supreme Court directive to
the TN Governor on Thursday to consider the mercy plea of Perarivalan and take
a decision as “deemed fit” and the government decided to stretch the relief to
cover not just Perarivalan but all the seven.
Amit Shah launched a blistering attack on Congress at Bhopal Accordingly after terming Manmohan Singh led UPA government a 'failure', the Bharatiya Janata Party national president said on Tuesday that Rahul Gandhi is just 'daydreaming' of winning polls. As per report Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a mega congregation of BJP workers here, an event which comes just ahead of the Assembly polls in Madhya Pradesh.
- Chennai Snake Park to design App for snake bite treatment
- Will TN people join Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan for nominating PM Modi for Nobel Peace Prize?
- Incessant rain triggered flash floods & landslides in Northern India
- MD, New VP of India Operations appointed by FB
- Bengaluru to receive heavy rain this week
- Will Harish get more majority to KCR in the ensuing elections?
- TPCC Working President confident SB Congress winning in Telangana
- Mother of one of 7 convicts in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case met TN Governor